Penis Health in the Hot Tub: 6 Tips for Safe Use
A hot tub(HT) can be a great place to relax and unwind. After a bracing workout at the gym, spending time in the HT can feel great on sore muscles. During the summer, spending time in an outdoor HT with a refreshing cool drink at hand can be the perfect way to end a barbecue. But are there any potential penis health issues that can arise when using a HT? In some cases, yes, and these tips can help a man use a HT with fewer penis health concerns.
- Watch the jets. When using a private HT, it's not uncommon for a man to slip out of a swimsuit and enjoy the experience in the buff. If he's alone and feeling frisky, he may decide to see just what effect those pulsating jets have on his penis. Doing so does pose a potential penis health risk, although if he is careful and explores this option in moderation, the risk is lessened. It's key to keep a little distance between the jets and the penis and to not spend too much time letting the water pound the penis. Too much time spent in this way could cause some tiny tearing of penile tissue. And under no circumstances should a man attempt to insert his penis into the jet opening, even if it is currently turned off.
- Be sure the water is clean. HT's come with specific instructions on how they should be maintained, and those instructions should be followed scrupulously. Bacteria love the combination of heat and water, so making sure appropriate amounts of chlorine are used to keep bacteria at bay. (Avoid too much chlorine, as this can damage the skin on the penis and elsewhere.)
- Watch the heat. The temperature also shouldn't be too high, as excess heat is bad for delicate penis skin and can dry it out. In addition, spending too much time in a HT can in some cases affect sperm production - although in most cases, this is a temporary issuer rather than a lingering penis health concern.
- Stay hydrated. Though not specifically a penis health concern, anyone using a HT should be sure to stay hydrated. That means keeping fresh water close at hand and taking a few sips regularly.
- Approach sex with caution. Many couples enjoy getting it on in their private HT. Doing so does require extra caution, however, not least because HT's can be slippery. Finding the right position can take practice, and fitting on a condom can be challenging. (Some people believe that the chlorine in the HT will kill any sperm, but sperm that is inside a woman's body may not be affected.) Also, be aware that if the HT has started drying out the penis skin prior to initiation of sex, some rawness and discomfort may result.
- Shower. It's a good idea to take a shower after spending time in a HT in order to rinse off excess chlorine which may otherwise damage sensitive penis skin.
Maintaining penis health when using a HT is easier when a man already includes a quality penis health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) as part of his daily penis hygiene regimen. When dealing with a HT, caring for the penis skin must be considered. Therefore, choose a crème that has a combination of highly effective moisturizing agents, such as shea butter and vitamin E, to help rehydrate worn penis skin. The crème should also include pantothenic acid (commonly called vitamin B5), which is required for cell metabolism and the maintenance of healthy tissue.