Chronic Bronchitis - 5 important tips to manage it
Written and reviewed by
FCCP (USA), MD - Pulmonary Medicine
8 years experience
Have you been coughing for a long time and don't know what to do? Well, here are 5 ways in which you can manage your chronic coughing:
1. Give up Smoking: Give up smoking before life gives up on you. Quitting at any point of time slows down the deterioration of lung function though not reverting to non smoking status.
2. Practice Pursed Lip Breathing: It's a very useful technique. Breathe in with your lips sealed up and breathe out with your lips slightly opened as if you're blowing birthday candles.
3. Wear a Mask when Going Out: Be cautious while going outdoor when there is sudden change in ambient environmental temperature and when pollution is high or pollen are there in the environment. (Actually simple mask do not help too much)
4. Stick to the prescribed inhaled treatment - Rush to doctor if there is increase in breathlessness, cough and/or sputum production which is not controlled by ongoing treatment. That marks exacerbation and may need hospitalisation.
5. Get vaccinated - by annual influenza vaccine and if you are above 65 then an additional single shot of pneumococcal vaccine. This will prevent infectious exacerbation.
found this helpful