Varicose veins are bulging blue veins on the legs that can cause leg swelling, skin blackening and even open wounds called ulcers. It is commonly seen in people aged 35 and above who have to stand a lot. Here are a few tips to prevent these:
1. Avoid standing for long periods: Standing for long periods of time causes blood to pool in your leg veins and they begin to bulge out like a balloon. Avoid standing desks at your work. If you have to stand, take a 5-minute break every hour and walk around or sit down.
2. Keep weight in check: Overweight people have a higher incidence of varicose veins. Keeping your weight in check would also prevent varicose veins.
3. Exercise 30 minutes a day: Exercise, especially brisk walking or jogging, will get the blood in your leg veins to circulate and thus prevent varicose veins.
4. Take the stairs: This simple exercise activates your calf muscles and gets blood to circulate in your veins.
5. Be vigilant: Calf cramps, swelling, change in colour of skin over foot and open wounds over the feet are a few signs that you need to look out for. Seek medical help to prevent worsening of this disease.
Follow these simple steps and you would be able to prevent varicose veins and have healthy feet.