5 Simple Home Remedies to Cure Common Cold @ Season Change
Dr. Shashank Agrawal
92% (14141 ratings)
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicines and Surgery(BAMS), Post Graduation Diploma in Emergency Medicines And Services(PGDEMS), MD - Alternate Medicine
5 years experience
5 simple home remedies to cure common cold during change of season
Frequent during change of season, the common cold can be a nuisance, leading to disruptions in your daily activities. Although it’s true that the common cold cannot be prevented, there are certain sure shot ways of getting rid of it through simple home remedies. Read on to find out 5 home remedies for common cold, free from side effects.
1. Put an extra pillow under your head: Do this at night when you’re ready to sleep. Adding an extra pillow under your head can help in relieving congested nasal passages. If you bit too uncomfortable, or if the angle is too high, then you can place the pillow between the mattress and the box spring. This would create a gradual slope and prevent any sort of discomfort during sleep.
2. Make your own saline nasal spray: For this you’ll need to mix 3 teaspoons of iodide free salt with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Add this mixture to 230ml of distilled or lukewarm boiled water and fill a bulb syringe with the mixture. Stand at your basin and lean your head over. Hold one nostril close by applying pressure with your finger and gently squirt the mixture into your open nostril and let it drain. Repeat for the other nostril.Just be sure to use distilled or previously boiled water at all times. Also remember to rinse the bulb syringe thoroughly and let it dry to prevent any infections.
3. Chew on raw garlic: Garlic has antiviral and antibacterial properties, which can greatly help in getting rid of common cold. Besides it is also good for your immune system and aids in opening up your respiratory passage and in cleaning out the toxins from your body. Just chew on raw garlic cloves or add a few drops of garlic oil in your food or drinks to cure yourself of common cold.
4. Treat yourself to some chocolate: Hot, dark chocolate sweetened with a little bit of honey can help in reducing cough. Research found out that chocolate contains theobromine, which can suppress the nerve that is responsible for coughing, and is also more effective in curing persistent coughs than codeine. Here’s the catch though: milk chocolate doesn’t work. Honey, on the other hand, can help in soothing a sore throat.
5. Have red onion syrup: Red onions can help providing relief to sore throats and other common cold symptoms. To make this syrup at home, you need to chop 2-3 red onions horizontally and one slice of onion with honey at a time in a bowl until its full. Then cover the bowl and let it stand for 12-15 hours; when you open it you’ll find thick syrup ready. Consume of a spoonful of it several times a day to cure yourself of common cold the natural way.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
found this helpful