Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments


A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test

A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test

Proteins are required for various processes in growth, development and overall health. The main classes of proteins found in the blood are Albumin and Globulin. Albumin makes up almost 60% of the proteins present in the blood. Produced by the liver, it is primarily responsible for tissue metabolism. Metabolism is the use of energy. Globulin makes up the remaining 40% of proteins in blood. Globulins are responsible for making numerous enzymes, antibodies and hormones. As observed, since the amount of Albumins is generally greater than that of Globulins, the ratio of A:G will normally be a little over 1. This serves as a good reference to check for the protein count in blood to diagnose any abnormalities.

The patient will be asked to fast for 8-12 hours before the sample is collected. Ask the doctor about specific food items that may or may not be consumed during this time. Let the doctor know of any medicines being taken by the patient. It is recommended that the patient wear a short sleeved shirt.

As discussed above, the normal A/G ratio is a little over 1. Though abnormalities don't confirm an ailment, they provide valuable insight into a patient's symptoms. A low A/G ratio indicates overproduction of Globulins. It hints at diseases such as Multiple Myeloma or other autoimmune diseases. A low A/G ratio also indicates underproduction of Albumins, indicating possibility of Cirrhosis. A high A/G ratio is mainly indicative of an underproduction of antibodies. This hints at genetic defects or leukemia.

The blood will be drawn from the vein on the patient's arm. The site will be cleaned with an alcohol swab. A sterile needle will be inserted into the patient's arm. About 2ml blood will be drawn from the arm of the patient. The site will be cleaned with a cotton swab.

plasma or serum
light green top tube container
Type Gender Age-Group Value
A/G Ratio
All age groups
Rs 100- Rs 500

Table of Content

What is A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test?
Preparation for A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test
Uses of A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test
Procedure for A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test
Specimen Requirements
Normal values for A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test
Price for A/G Ratio (Fasting) Test
Lybrate Gaurantee
Lybrate Gaurantee