Surya Namaskar literally translates to “bowing to the sun.” It is a combination of 12 yoga asanas, where the body, mind, and soul are brought into complete synchrony. They are done in sets, some do 12, some 15, while some 30 depending on their endurance. Scientifically too, there are multiple benefits from Surya namaskar. Read on to know the most prominent ones.
International Yoga Day 2021 will be celebrated on Monday, June 21, 2021. Since 2015, International Yoga Day is observed on June 21 to spread awareness among the masses about the importance of Yoga and its effects upon human health.
- Stretching and flexibility: The 12 asanas which are part of the Surya Namaskar ensure that every part of the body is exercise. The flexibility that comes with it is to be experienced to be believed. This is extremely beneficial for the bones, joints, and ligaments of the entire body and spine.
- Improves internal organ functioning: The various stretching improves blood flow to the organs and improves their functioning. The result is a better functioning digestive system and kidneys, which help in better absorption of nutrients from food and thorough elimination of metabolic wastes. Detox happens naturally, with the release of trapped gasses and improved enzyme secretion.
- Weight loss: One of the best-proven ways to lose weight is to do the 12 asanas regularly on a daily basis. It is a perfect workout involving the complete body and is great for losing weight around the belly. It also is proven to improve the thyroid gland functioning, which plays a significant role in metabolism and leads to weight gain.
- Bone health: Traditionally, it is done during the early morning hours, at sunrise, which ensures the body gets the required amount of vitamin D. This is essential for good bone health.
- Stress buster: Stress release happens in multiple ways. Deep focused breathing is one of them. During the asanas, control over breathing is very essential and so stress control is ensured. Various muscles and bones get tense with stress, and thorough stretching helps relieve the stress buildup. The mind is also calmed during the workout, and so stress relief is further enhanced.
- Cure for insomnia: People who are not able to sleep should do Surya Namaskar on a regular basis and ensure sound sleep regularly. Both stress relief and the perfect workout ensures good sleep is guaranteed.
- Helpful in menstrual cycles: Women who have cramps during their menstrual cycles have shown very good improvement with the inclusion of this exercise. It also is shown to benefit people with irregular menstruation via the improved circulation. Pregnant women doing Surya Namaskars are more likely to have a normal delivery.
- Glowing Skin: With the release of toxins and stress, a glowing skin is but natural.
This is not all; try the Surya Namaskar and see for yourself.