Shampoo - Are You Using The Right One?
Written and reviewed by
Fellowship in Pediatric Dermatology , MD - Dermatology , Venereology & Leprosy , MBBS
It is important to watch what you wash your hair with. Your shampoo has the most defining effect on how your mane will look like. And it is simple to figure out the right shampoo if you pay attention to the details. Your first clue is to know about your hair type. Second is to read what the shampoo bottle label reads. And match both.
Here are the hair types your shampoo must match with-
1) Rough or Dry Hair: Hair that are moisture less and rough to touch and a scalp that is dry need an intensely moisturising shampoo. Check the label for ‘moisturizing’ 'replenishing' shampoo and scan the ingredient list for natural oils, which are absorbed by hair. A coconut or sesame oil base is ideal. Also very moisturising are avocado oil, grape seed oil, and argan oil.
2) Oily Hair: An oily scalp makes your hair look sticky all the time. A non-creamy and non-moisturising shampoo is ideal to pick. Usually oily hair is accompanied by a dandruff problem. An anti-dandruff shampoo would be ideal in such cases. Check an anti-dandruff shampoo for the following ingredients like ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione, or selenium sulphide.
3) Thin or Fine Hair: These are the kind of hair that looks very sparse. Fine hair has thin strands and therefore need a volumizing shampoo to add body to the hair.
4) Wavy/Curly Hair: Curly or deeply wavy hair tends to be unmanageable. They also tend to look damaged. Such hair needs a shampoo which can contain their tendency to scatter. A shampoo which conditions works well usually. Also look for 'Damage repair' on the label.
5) Chemically treated hair: If you have treated your hair with colour or other texture altering procedures like straightening or perming you must pick a shampoo which says it is for 'colour-treated' hair. Such shampoos are mild and prevent further damage.
However, even after you spot the right match of shampoo for your hair type, you must ensure that it suits your hair well. Do not stop searching until you find the one that makes your hair look and feel perfect. If you have already followed the above advice, but have not been satisfied, click on Consult Privately to ask me a question and I can suggest you something else as per your needs.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones.
690 people found this helpful