Marriage is a huge commitment and when you decide to take the plunge, you usher in a new and happy chapter in your life. However, marriage can be a lot of work and you need to put in a lot of effort to make it last. Studies have shown that the divorce rates have increased by 54% in the last 10 years due to marital discord.
What are the causes of marital discord?
Not every marriage goes through the same problems; there are a lot of different reasons, which can cause a marriage to fall apart. Some of the probable causes for marital discord are:
• Expectations - Excessive and irrational expectations can put a lot of pressure on your marriage causing you to get irritated with each other and drift apart.
• Hectic work life - A frantic work life can keep you away from your partner for longer periods. It might be understandable initially but with time, it can cause cracks in your relationship.
• Physical intimacy - Physical intimacy and bond plays a huge part in making a marriage complete. An unsatisfactory sex life can take the happiness out of a marriage.
• Controlling nature - If you or your partner is very dominating or controlling, it can make the other person feel trapped in the marriage, which can ultimately lead to marital complications.
Ways to work through a successful marriage:
Despite all the problems plaguing your marriage, do not give up very easily. There are a few things you can do which might help your marriage:
• Express yourself properly - Talk about your problems with each other without resorting to verbal and emotional abuse. Try to address everything in a constructive and understanding manner.
• Focus on the positives - Do not just focus on the negative aspects because that is not fair to your partner. Concentrate on the positive things also, work on them and move forward.
• Identify your own faults - It takes two people to make a marriage work and both of you should put in equal effort. Do not focus solely on your partner’s shortcomings; focus on yours too. This will help you understand where you are going wrong and help you in understanding your partner better.
• Make compromises when needed - Occasional compromises and sacrifices are crucial for maintaining a solid marriage. Putting your partner and their needs first sometimes will make them appreciate you more. This will help you build your marriage into a happy one.
Every marriage goes through difficulties but that does not mean that you will let go of that marriage and your partner. Work through your problems and you will have a stable and lifelong marriage.