There are many reasons as to why a person may feel lonely. Loneliness is different from being alone as one can feel lonely even when surrounded by people. This is a complex emotional and mental phenomenon that everyone experiences at some point of time in their lives.
Here are a few tips to help you cope with loneliness.
- Recognize that it is only a feeling: Loneliness is not a fact that you are isolated or have no one on your side. This is only a feeling and will pass like every other feeling. Accepting this can keep you from overreacting and blowing the issue out of proportion.
- Reach out: Feeling lonely can make a person withdraw into himself or herself. This does not help. Instead, you must reach out to someone. Remember, no one can read your mind and unless you speak up, nobody will be able to help you.
- Join a group: Group activities are great when you are feeling lonely. This can make you feel involved with other people without putting you in the spotlight. Group activities could take the form of a gym class, art class, meditation etc.
- Focus on the needs of others: Thinking about other people will give you less mental space to dwell on your own loneliness. Smiling at other people and wishing them well can help lessen your own mental burden.
- Find good friends: People who feel lonely find it hard to open up to people but it is essential to find people who you share something in common with. Be honest and frank with your friends.
- Be persistent: It can take time to find people you get along with. It is important not to give up during this process and to persevere in finding people and groups where you can fit in.
- Keep yourself busy: The less time you have to think about your loneliness, the less you will feel lonely. Find a new hobby that keeps you busy. This could be something you do by yourself like gardening or a group activity such as choir singing or yoga.
- Exercise: Exercise is good not only for your physical health but also for your mental health. Start your morning with a run or yoga to feel energized. Exercising can also be a way of meeting new people.
- Get a pet: Pets are great ways to combat loneliness. A pet dog or a cat will give you unconditional love without expecting anything in return as long as you care for him or her.
- Eat right: Unhealthy food habits could also contribute to loneliness. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to boost your immune system and amp up the production of happy hormones.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!