Iodine is often considered as a trace element and most people do not give it the importance it deserves. This is wrong on many counts. Iodine is very much needed by your body and it is essential for thyroid hormone synthesis in our everyday lives. A lack of iodine can lead to many complications and can affect the physical and mental health of a person.
Worse, in case if you are pregnant, it can affect the health of the fetus. The telltale signs of a thyroid deficiency can be found in thyroid glands, and in case you feel you are suffering from the symptoms, consult your physician immediately. Let us look at some of the signs that can indicate you are suffering from thyroid problems.
- Goiter: Iodine deficiency if left unchecked can lead to the development of a goiter- A swelling around the thyroid gland, resulting in a visible lump in the throat. As the swelling continues to grow, it might cause severe difficulty in swallowing. It also hampers the thyroid gland and prevents it from producing adequate thyroid hormones. It can lead to a condition known as hypothyroidism as well.
- Constant weakness and fatigue: You might experience low energy levels and feel weak all the time in case you are suffering from iodine deficiency. Iodine deficiency can also make you feel tired all the time and you may experience blackouts frequently. Do consult with your physician in case you are suffering from these symptoms as they are extremely harmful in the long run.
- Difficulty in concentrating and lack of memory: Your memory functions may get compromised in case you have low iodine levels in your body. Iodine is vital for the smooth functioning of the nervous system and can have a direct impact on your learning capabilities. It can also cloud your thoughts and lead to mental confusions. It also increases the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Unusual weight gain: Lack of Iodine in your body can make you gain weight. You may feel bloated all the time even though you do not eat properly. Your internal systems may not work to its potential in case you have an iodine deficiency and this may lead to loss of appetite and vomiting in some cases. It also increases the chances of accumulation of unwanted gas in your body.
- Depression: If you feel depressed and restless, it can be due to a nutritional deficiency, such as iodine. The mineral can be very beneficial in increasing the nervous activity and can reduce anxiety, restlessness, and irritation. Iodine also induces sound sleep. Hence a lack of proper sleep can also mean that you are suffering from iodine deficiency.
- Iodine intake: The necessary amount of iodine can be consumed regularly through Iodized salt. Other food supplements can include seafood, cow’s milk, potatoes, and seaweed, which are all rich in iodine.
Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!