With the amount of time and energy that we invest in a relationship, it is always difficult to see it come to an end. But as the adage goes, life must go on, and so it is important to move on. Once you break up a relationship, take a while to look back at the good memories and important lessons of the relationship and get over it. In most cases, the fault is with neither person – it is just the compatibility between the two individuals which probably was just not good enough. Therefore, though there could be the usual blame-games, it is best to agree that it is time to move on and go about it.
Some of the ways to get over a breakup are listed below-
What works for one person may not work for another. It also depends on how mature a person is and how much they were into the relationship.
- Stay away: With a bad breakup, it is not possible to stay friends, at least immediately after the breakup. Give it some time, and maybe later you can look at it. But, soon after the breakup, get out and away from your ex. Good or bad, memories will haunt you and never allow you to move on.
- Clean up: Your room and office space could be holding a lot of memories from your relationship – be it pictures or gifts. Clear these off and see your mind unclutter. These things will keep triggering your memory and reminding you of the various aspects of the relationship
- Get busy: With a bad breakup, the best remedy is to get busy. This ensures you do not keep thinking about the relationship and divert your energy and attention elsewhere. Get into that music class which you always planned to. Join a salsa dance class or begin exercising. Whatever it is, keep yourself busy.
- Be happy: Find out what makes you happy (other than the partner you just broke up with) and indulge yourself. For a while, it is okay to indulge in your favourite foods too.
- Console yourself: Tell yourself that you deserve better and you will get back to life in a far, better manner. Find things that make you happy and go about it. There are people who even take a break-up holiday to overcome the pains of a bad breakup.
- Chide the partner: This may sound childish, but pick on their bad habits and look at them in an exaggerated fashion. It will help you understand what you got away from, for instance, a short-tempered person.
Give it a few days, and then… move on!!!