6 Most Effective Home Remedies To Fight Stretch Marks
Dr. A.P. Aparna
91% (1687 ratings)
M. sc Psychology, BHMS
19 years experience
What are Stretch Marks? - Stretch marks are the off-coloured stripes or streaks formed on the skin as a result of swift stretching of skin or weight changes. They mainly appear on abdomen due to pregnancy or obesity. They are formed due to hormonal changes related to pregnancy, puberty, hormone replacement therapy, etc. Stretch marks can be commonly seen on waist, thighs, lower backs, hips, breasts, arms, and buttocks.
How are these stretch marks formed? - The skin of the human body consists of three main layers ? 1) Epidermis (the outer layer), 2) Dermis (the middle layer), and 3) Hypodermic (the deepest and third layer)
When the connective tissue is stretched due to the expansion and contraction of skin, the stretch marks starts developing on the dermis or the middle layer of the skin. With the stretch in skin, the collagen gets weak, and the elastin fibres start tearing. Due to this, its normal production cycle gets damaged or interrupted. This results in the formation of fine scars under the epidermis or the top layer of the skin. Initially, they appear red or pink, but gradually, they turned into thin silvery line.
Causes - Stretch marks are not a disease, which infects the human body, but are the scars formed due to contraction and expansion of skin. They are basically caused by stretching of the skin. Their appearance depends on the type of skin. These ugly stretch marks are caused due to:
- The physical stretching of the skin at the end of pregnancy.
- Extraordinary weight gain, specially on arms, thighs, etc.
- Use of certain medications, including lotions, pills, Corticosteroid creams, and steroids.
- Genetic disorders
- Muscle building
- Hormonal changes during puberty
Symptoms - What are the signs of stretch marks? No one would ever like to have stretch marks on their skin. They commonly appear on the places where a large amount of fats is deposited. Some of the symptoms which help to recognize the development of stretch marks are as follows:
- The skin becomes pink, flattened and thin before the development of stretch marks.
- Development of red, pink, or purple lines on the skin.
- Affected area becomes soft in touch.
- At the initial phase, these lines appear wrinkly and somewhat raised.
- With the passage of time, these lines convert into silver or white in colour.
- They may also appear in patches of parallel lines.
- They appear as scar.
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks - It is natural that every woman will develop stretch marks at some point of time in her life. Although they are natural, but have truly ugly looks. Here are some quick home remedies for stretch marks, which will undoubtedly reduce or remove the scars from the affected area.
1) Honey - Honey is the best natural moisturizer. Skin gets extra hydrated and supple when honey is used as a lotion.
2) Lemon Juice - Lemon juice is other easy treatment for stretch marks. The acid present in lemon juice helps in reducing stretch marks, acne, skin injuries, and scars. Take out juice from some lemons. Massage it gently for 10 minutes in a circular motion on the stretch marks. Clean the affected area with warm water.
3) Carrot Puree - Mash some soft steamed carrots and make a paste, apply to stretch marks and let it sit for as long as possible then rinse with lukewarm water. (Caution: In lighter skin tones it may temporarily turn you orange)
4) Aloe Vera - Aloe vera is considered to be the most effective homeopathic remedy for stretch marks and various other skin problems. It is known for its healing and soothing properties. Apply aloe vera directly on the stretch marks. After a few minutes, clean it with lukewarm water.
5) Egg Whites - To get rid of stretch marks, egg whites are beneficial as they are rich in proteins and amino acid. Extract whites of two eggs. Whip it with the help of a fork. After washing the affected area with clean water, apply a thick layer of egg whites with the help of a brush. Let it dry completely and wash it off with cold water. After this, apply some olive oil to moisturize the skin. For two weeks, continue the process daily for better results.
6) Essential Oils - They contain moisturizing properties because of their viscosity. Oregano oil, grape seed oil, and sage oil have amazing antioxidant properties. Castor oil and jojoba oil can lighten dark spots.
If you have any more questions on this topic, click on consult privately to ask me.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.
found this helpful