Acne or pimple is a common skin problem which results when the skin pores are blocked because of oil and dead skin cells. The intensity of acne can vary from person to person and can be severe or mild. Severe acne refers to the back, neck, chest and face being covered with hundreds of pimples while mild acne refers to a condition where a couple of pimples appear. Typical symptoms of acne are pimples and blackheads and whiteheads too are considered as symptoms of acne. Cystic lesions – big, deep and painful pimple – are also symptom of acne.
HOW IS ACNE/PIMPLES DIAGNOSED?
This skin disease can be diagnosed with a visit to the general physician who may refer a particularly severe case to a skin specialist or dermatologist. Dermatologists believe that this condition usually affects people during their puberty and especially males who have high testosterone levels.
HOW IS ACNE/PIMPLES TREATED?
Treatments include application of non-tropical elements like antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, azelic acids, tazarotene, tretinoin, adapalene, or using tropical elements like anti-pimple creams, lotions, soaps and pads etc. Oral drug treatments like antibiotics, or other medications or even homeopathy or Ayurveda can help a lot. Intralesional cortisone injections or red light therapy can be helpful.
DID YOU KNOW?
Using oil free products, avoiding over-washing, eating less oily food, maintaining personal hygiene, not squeezing and picking blemishes are few ways to prevent acne to spread further.
Acne vulgaris, which is more commonly known as acne or pimples generally affect men and women just when they hit their puberty. Acne mostly affects the face, chest and back region. Acne is generally characterized into the following, depending on the way they appear-
• Occluded pores, generally known as blackheads and whiteheads, are found in plenty on the nose. Blackheads and whiteheads are basically a result of dirt clogged in skin pores.
• Pimples are reddish bumps
• Pustules, are pus containing bumps
• Zits are generally deep pus filled pimples
Pimples on face and other parts of the body are generally a result of the activation of the sebaceous gland at the time of puberty, along with the various hormonal changes that take place too. Acne can prove to be especially embarrassing for many during their teen years, and teenagers with this problem always try to determine how to get rid of pimples. There are some easy home remedies for acne that can prove to be highly effective in cleaning acne. For instance-
• Aspirin- This medication contains salicylic acid as one of its main ingredients. Salicylic acid is great for acne treatment, and is in fact one of the main components in acne removing medicines. Thus, the application of aspirin paste for about 10 minutes in the affected area works wonders.
• Tea tree oil- This oil contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus regular application of tea tree oil for a few hours will effectively reduce pimples.
• Ice- Ice is great for reducing inflammation of the pimple. The blood vessels constrict with the application of ice on the pimple, thus reducing redness and puffiness.
• Apple cider vinegar- It contains citric acid, which gets rid of bacteria and also acts as a chemical peel for the skin. The vinegar thus, effectively cleans the skin, which will automatically prevent the outbreak of pimples.
Apart from the above mentioned remedies, creams containing benzoyl peroxide also helps with the reduction of acne. Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria and dries the skin so that it peels off.
Getting rid of pimples is not the only solution to the acne problem, one also has to consider how to prevent pimples. Some effective ways are-
• One of the most efficient ways of staying pimple free is keeping the face clean. Removing dead skin, dirt and oil from the face will prevent the outbreak of pimples.
• Moisturizing is also essential for healthy skin
• Too much of make-up should be duly avoided
• Overexposure to the sun can also cause acne. This is because UV rays of the sun worsen acne inflammation and redness. Thus, a sunscreen work great to protect the skin from damage.
Lybrate is the ideal platform through which you can connect with the top dermatologists and seek their advice on how to get rid of acne. Through Lybrate you can consult the top doctor all across India. Find top dermatologists and general physicians in Pune, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata etc. Lybrate.com also offers online solutions to your medical problems. Subscribe to Lybrate.com so you can consult the doctor of your choice and get effective solutions on how to remove blackheads and pimples.