In–vitro fertilization of IVF is a medical process through which a woman’s egg is fertilized with the sperm in a test tube, petri dish in a laboratory. IVF is not just useful for getting pregnant, it also helps in curing a lot of other conditions as well.
Conditions which can be treated by IVF
IVF may not be able to completely cure certain medical conditions but they can treat these conditions to a huge extent. Such medical conditions are:
• Treatment for people with genetic deformities - There are a lot of people out there who suffer from a huge risk of having genetically deformed babies but IVF can help prevent that. In such circumstances, the concerned people can choose the embryos, which do not contain such deformities, and the process through which this is done is called preimplantation genetic diagnosis. This treatment can also be performed on people who have consistent miscarriages.
• Ovulation problems - Women whose ovaries have difficulties in producing eggs on a normal basis can be helped by the IVF treatment.
• Vaginal and cervical complications - Sometimes, certain surgeries can cause injuries and extreme scarring on top of the vagina and also cervix problems. IVF can solve this problem by placing the embryo straight in the uterine cavity, avoiding the cervix.
• Multiple factors causing infertility - Sometimes both male and female infertility can be caused by several factors. In case there is a slight scarring of the fallopian tubes accompanied by a sperm problem, IVF can be used to remedy this and hikes up the chances of conception and fertilization.
• Damage in fallopian tubes or tubal damage - When a woman’s fallopian tubes are extremely damaged that surgery also cannot remedy it, IVF comes into play. This is because IVF circumvents the fallopian tubes and does the job. But before considering this treatment, consult your gynaecologist because if the fallopian tubes are slightly injured then the IVF treatment is not necessary.
• Endometriosis - Endometriosis is a type of condition in which the uterine lining develops outside the uterus. Even though it is not the only option for dealing with this condition, IVF does help in remedying it to some extent.
• Unclear reasons for infertility - When it becomes very difficult to find the reasons causing infertility, IVF helps in diagnosing it. In this matter, the success rates are quite high for IVF.
Even though IVF is hardly used as the first mode of treatment in case of fertility complications, you can consider it as your next best option. IVF is known all around the world for it’s benefits and usage. But before going for any IVF treatments, make sure to go and consult your doctor and take his opinion about whether you really need it or not.