Wash Fruits And Vegetables In Rainy Season!
Dt. Shilpa Mittal
90% (14 ratings)
B.H.Sc (Food Science & Nutrition), M.H.Sc (Food Science & Nutrition)
23 years experience
- In rainny season wash all vegetables and fruits thoroughly
- In rainny season wash all vegetables and fruits thoroughly, esp green leafy vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, brinjal, roots and tubers which harbour larvae, worms and dust. Clean them under running water.
- Steaming them is the best way to get rid of germs. Soaking the greens in salt water for about 10minutes can help remove insects.
- Research has shown that using just plain old water can remove 98% of the bacteria when it is used to rinse and soak produce.
- If you decide to use vinegar, research has shown that a 3 part water to 1 part vinegar is most effective. A soak of five to10 minutes should be sufficient. Try to get the water temperature as close to that of the fruit or vegetable that you wish to clean. When you have a variety of fruits and vegetables, it might be best to wash these separately.
You found this helpful