Women who suffer from androgenetic alopecia may lose large amounts of hair. Though this type of hair loss is more common in older women, it can occur at any age, including the teenage years. Thyroid disorders, anemia and pregnancy can cause young females to lose their hair. Young women may also lose their hair due to skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis. Women who suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome may also lose their hair at a young age.
Hormonal imbalances due to circumstances such as childbirth can cause temporary hair loss in young females. Autoimmune conditions such as alopecia areata, which is a condition that causes the woman's immune system to attack her hair follicles, causes hair loss in young women. Young females may also lose their hair due to ringworm infections on the scalp or conditions such as scarring alopecia.
Medications used to treat cancer, high blood pressure and heart problems may cause hair loss in young women. Some birth control pills could also cause a woman to lose greater amounts of her hair. Radiation therapy to the head, hairstyles that pull the hair tight, hot oil treatments that cause inflammation of hair follicles, and trigger events such as stress, emotional shock and excessive weight loss may cause hair loss in young women.
Young women who suffer from trichotillomania, which is a hair-pulling disorder, often lose large amounts of hair.
Facts about normal hair growth
About 90% of hair on the scalp grows continually. In fact, each hair grows for about 2 to 6 years. The other 10% of scalp hair is in a resting phase that lasts 2 to 3 months. At the end of the resting stage, this hair is shed.
Most people have around 100,000 hairs on their head, and shed 50 to 100 hairs a day. This is normal. When a hair is shed, it is replaced by a new hair from the same follicle and the growing cycle starts again. Scalp hair grows about half an inch a month.
As people age, the rate of hair growth slows.
What causes hair loss?
Hair loss is believed to be primarily caused by a combination of the following:
Change in hormones
Family history of baldness
Untreated ringworm of the scalp
Vitamin A excess
Protein or iron deficiency
Rapid weight loss
Certain autoimmune diseases
Certain cancer treatments
Hair pulling due to trichotillomania
However, hair loss is not caused by the following:
Poor circulation to the scalp
Hair fall or loss is a multifactorial problem where hereditary along with environmental factors and diet play an important role. Iron deficiency along with essential things like biotin, vitamin a along with other nutrients have a major role to play. Lotions, serums, tablets along with specified shampoos and conditioners can also help. Mesotherapy and prp are promising therapies which can be tried. All these treatment definitely need maintenance sessions along with local lotions application under the supervision of dermatologist. All the best and take care. Patients need multiple sessions for better outcome along with medical analysis. Hope this is of some help to you. One can take biotin tablets along with vitamin a rich diet and lots of red grapes with seeds.
Diffuse loss of hair is a very common complaint in practice &amp; patients are often seriously concerned about it. Patient notices hair entangled in com or brush; he notices thinning of the scalp hair but not complete baldness. Defluvium capillorum is the first stage of alopecia.
Change of climate and shifting of residence; poor diet or crash dieting; over work loss of blood due to other causes; typoid or other febrile illnesses; acute mental strain.
Causes of hair loss
Stress, both physical and emotional, has been linked to hair loss. Physical stress in the form of an injury or an accident triggers a type of hair loss called telogen effluvium.
Excessive intake of vitamin a
Consuming too much vitamin a is linked to increased hair loss.
Pregnancy is an example of hair loss caused due to physical stress. Post delivery hair loss is very common in women.
It is common for women to bald if they have a history of female balding in their family. This is the female version of male pattern baldness.
Lack of protein
Hair is made up of protein. Hence, when you don’t consume enough protein, hair growth is curbed.
Iron deficiency anemia leads to hair loss.
The consumption of b vitamins is crucial when it comes to maintaining the health of your hair. A lack of these vitamins leads to hair loss.
When the thyroid fails to produce certain hormones, it directly affects the health of your hair, resulting in hair loss.
This is an immune system disorder where hair is mistaken for a foreign object and is attacked.
Dramatic weight loss is often accompanied by the loss of nutrients. Your hair needs proper nourishment for growth. When it isn’t nourished, the resulting hair loss is inevitable.
Hair loss is a common symptom of aging. Less that 45% of women reach the age of 80 with a head full of hair.