Skin Rejuvenation : Procedures, Side effects, Recovery time, Costs and alternatives
What is Skin Rejuvenation?
Skin rejuvenation is a method of making the skin look better. Many skin problems such as age pigmentation, sun damage, fine lines, redness, damaged blood vessels, scars, wrinkles, acne are treated with skin care treatments, products to restore your skin condition. In case of the face, if you feel droopy eyelids, jowls, skin sagging, droopy earlobes, nose, thin lips, and then it would be the right time to go for a skin rejuvenation treatment.
There are many advanced skin rejuvenation treatment available such as Microdermabrasion, Micro-needling, Lip fillers, Anti-aging injectable, Hydra facial, skin peels, Thread lifts, Photodynamic therapy, Platelet Rich Plasma etc. These treatments are precisely done by the experienced cosmetologist & dermatologist to bring you the finest result. The treatment is finalized after thoroughly examining your level of skin damage and your expectancy on the result.
How is the treatment done?
Microdermabrasion: This is the easiest and ideal for people with sensitive skin. In this non-chemical, non-invasive procedure dead layers are exfoliated. In Microdermabrasion, two methods are handled. One is a hand-held device that streams small crystals across the skin. An attached vacuum simultaneously sucks the exfoliating crystals, dead cells. Another method is the usage of a diamond-tip wand. This is gently moved across the skin for exfoliation. During the treatment, you may feel mild scratching on the skin as the superficial skin cells are removed. A suction mechanism is used to lift off the dead cells in which you may feel a slight vibration on the skin. Wrinkles and pigmentation are cleaned up with this procedure and bring you back a refresh young-looking glowing face.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP): In PRP, one’s own plasma is used to stimulate collagen production and cell migration that allows for the reduction of folds, wrinkles and lines. PRP therapy gives natural looking and its effect lasts for two whole years. In this minimally invasive procedure, any area of the body is treated without any side effects. Persons who do not like to undergo in injectable filler treatment can adapt this simple procedure. In this procedure, the blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge machine for around 8-10 minutes. The entire procedure will be completed within 20 minutes.Based on the number of targeted areas, the amount of blood is drawn from the body. The cells are separated and from the top layer of the blood, fibrin is extracted along with rich platelets. This blood is again re-injected into the targeted area.
Chemical peel: Chemical peel is used to remove damaged cells and shows out the underneath healthier skin. There are different types of peels say light, medium and deep. Generally, before the procedure, the person will be tied her hair at the back. The Face will be cleaned and eyes are covered with goggles or gauze. In the light and medium peel, you will be administered with the chemicals such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid or trichloroacetic acid in the targeted area. The skin will start to whiten and in such peels, you may experience a slight stinging and burning sensation. In case of Deep peel, you will be anesthetized. Applicator Phenol will be applied on your skin which will turn the skin to white or gray color. This procedure will take 15 minutes and you will have less exposure to the chemical here.
Who is eligible for the treatment?(When is the treatment done ?)
Microdermabrasion: Persons with wrinkles, sun damage, clogged pores, fine facial lines, pigmentation, and minor scars are the right candidates for Microdermabrasion. Persons who suffer from acne or rosacea may also benefit from this procedure. Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy:
- If you are not completely bald or have low-dense hair
- If you are not a regular alcoholic or smoker
- If you do not take any blood thinners
- If you do not suffer from any medical disorders especially blood disorders, cancer, liver disease Chemical peel:
- Persons with sunburns, wrinkles and skin related issues can undergo a chemical peel treatment.
Who is not eligible for the treatment?
- Chemical peel: If you regularly expose to sunlight and spend more time, then the benefit will not last.
- PRP: Smokers, alcoholics, bald headed persons, patients with chronic medical ailments
- Microdermabrasion: Persons with severe acne, rosacea. Cold sores, rash, skin irritation, wounds are not suitable for this treatment.
Are there any Side Effects?
- Redness: The common Microdermabrasion side effect is “Redness” like mild sunburn.
- Increased sun sensitivity: This treatment makes your skin more sensitive to the sun and heavy light.
- Slight abrasions: When the treatment is provided aggressively, you may notice small abrasions or pinpricks of blood.
- Bruising: Since this treatment exerts a vacuum effect on the skin, the bruising possibility is there especially in the thin areas of the skin.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP): Since PRP is an Autologous, i.e. the substance is coming from one’s own body reduces the risk of allergy that occurs when using other medicines like hyaluronic acid, cortisone. However, there are some side effects behind Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy such as infections, pain, bleeding at the injected site, nerve damage and tissue damage.
- Scarring: Rarely a chemical peel may cause scarring especially on the lower part of the face. To diminish the scars steroids and antibiotics are prescribed.
- Infection: Sometimes a chemical peel may flare-up the herpes virus that causes cold sores. Occasionally, this treatment may lead to fungal & bacterial infection.
- Heart, kidney/liver damage: Usage of Phenol in deep peel has the tendency of damaging the heart muscle and may lead to irregular heartbeat. Phenol is also lethal to the liver and kidneys. For such reasons, only this procedure is done in portions of 10-20 minutes interval.
In case any of these side effects persists or there any other health issues arising during or after treatment, it is advised to kindly consult the health specialist immediately.
What are the post-treatment guidelines?
- If your skin turns very sensitive after the treatment just apply aloe for a soothing effect and may ingest Advil to avoid discomfort.
- Don’t use any exfoliating products or correctives for the first 48 hours after the treatment
- Use gentle sunblock, moisturizer after 48 hours of the treatment
- Avoid tanning beds and sun exposure to the treated areas after the treatment.
- Normally, after 48 hours of the treatment, the skin starts to peel which might last for 2-3 days. Do not pick or pull the skin.
- Don’t wet your hair for at least 3 hours after the PRP treatment.
- Don’t use hair products at least for 6 hours after the treatment
- Avoid heat, saunas and strenuous exercise for at least 2 days after the treatment.
- Intake lots of water for the first week after the PRP treatment
- Don’t touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area for at least 8 hours after the treatment
- Avoid cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine at least for 3 days after the treatment
- Avoid excessive heat and direct sun exposure to the treated area. Don’t use tanning beds and self-tanners at least for 4 weeks after the treatment
- Try to avoid sweating as it may cause scarring on the treated area
- Do not use any acidic products such as Tretinoins, Retinoids, or any acne medications as they may increase the photosensitivity.
- Don’t do hair dying at least for 3 weeks after the chemical peeling
- This treatment may induce cold sores
- Don’t apply make-up the day of your treatment. Give rest and make your skin stabilize at least for one whole day after the treatment.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP):
How long doesit take to recover?
Chemical peel: The recovery time depends on the type of peel you are administered with. There is no need for a recovery time for a Light chemical peel. People can resume their daily activities immediately after the treatment. Medium peel will take 2 whole weeks for healing whereas deep peel may take some months for complete healing.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP): This procedure varies from person to person. Most of the patients experience relief within 3-4 weeks after the treatment and the pain starts to improve over the next 3-6 months.
Microdermabrasion: This procedure takes the shortest time for recovery.
What is the price of the treatment in India?
The treatment costs are as follows:
Microdermabrasion: For one session, the charges of Microdermabrasion is between 1000-2500 depends on the targeted area. In smaller cities up to 1200 is charged.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy: Normally, the PRP cost starts from 3000-13,000 per session.
Chemical peel: Approximately the chemical peel cost is around 1500-3000
Are the results of the treatment permanent?
Microdermabrasion: The long-lasting results depend on your skin care.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy: PRP treatment offers both long and short term results depending on how well your body reacts to the rejuvenation of tissues.
Chemical peel: The results of chemical peel may be permanent depends on the proper care of skin after the treatment.
What are the alternatives to the treatment?
Some of the alternative treatments are as follows:
Chemical peel: Fraxel Laser Resurfacing is the common alternative to a chemical peel. Facelift and Microdermabrasion are said to be other alternatives.
Microdermabrasion: Dermabrasion, Chemical peels, Laser resurfacing, exfoliating products are alternatives to Microdermabrasion.
There are many natural products which can make your skin free from all kinds of problems. Minor issues can be treated with natural products rather than choosing surgeries and injections. Proper food is one of the important things. The food intake must have enough vitamins and minerals which can nourish the skin.Olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseeds oil are some of the natural products used to treat wrinkles. Gently rinsing your face with warm water and consuming foods that are rich in vitamin B and E can really help in healing and recovering your skin.
Massage with lemon juice can reduce wrinkles and dark lines on your face. The acidity of lemon can turn your face brighter. Eating enough fruits and vegetables also helps in keeping your skin healthy.
Silicone gel sheeting, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera gel,Emu oil are some of the natural products which can reduce scars and acne. Tea tree oil, onion extract, honey, cucumber paste can also do wonders.