Panchakarma treatment is an integral part of Ayurveda that helps with the detoxification of the body. It proves highly useful in the case of joint pain associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Rejuvenation forms an important aspect of treatment plan executed for patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
As per Ayurveda, it is important to clean all the cells in the body and open the blocked channels in the body for proper treatment and healing of an individual. Doing so helps balance Vata, which is mostly associated with arthritis and arthritic pain. Balancing the Vata brings the patient closer to their point of cure. Panchakarma is highly useful for the pain and other discomforting symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Panchakarma remedies provide the following benefits:
- It helps eliminate toxins from the body.
- It relieves pain and ache in the diseased joints.
- It strengthens the immune system and boosts the immunity of the patient.
- It improves the overall health of the patients by restoring the balance.
- It reverses the harmful effect of stress on the mind and body and its different organs.
- It improves the potency of medicines.
- It improves vitality and clarity of mind.
The following are some of the Panchakarma remedies used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis:
- Vasti or Medicated Enema: This therapy works by cleansing the different channels in the body and improving the circulation of air to different parts and tissues of the body. This help in improving joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Additionally, it helps with the cleansing of the colon and the nourishment of different cells in the body, which helps improve strength and immunity.
- Pizhichil or Rich Oil Massage: This remedy works by alleviating pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis. It involves the use of a lukewarm medicates oil, followed by a massage. In addition to relieving pain, it helps promote peace of mind by relieving stress and strain.
- Abhyanga or Full Body Massage: This remedy involves the use of specific medicated oils for full body massage. It helps cleanse toxins from the deeper tissues and pacify Vata. It works wonderfully to protect an individual from Vata-related disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis. It enhances the sleeping ability and physical stability of an individual by eliminating stress.
- Potli or Poultice Massage: This involves the use of a herbal juice to relax the muscles and balance Vata. It acts as a wonderful pain killer as well. This treatment involves the use of small linen buns or “potlis” that contain medicated powders and herbs. The mixture is boiled in medicated oil and used to massage the target areas. It helps relieve every type of joint pain and muscle cramps.