Pregnancy is an important and happy phase in a couple’s life. There are many changes (both physical as well as emotional) that a woman experiences during pregnancy. However, the period can also be extremely confusing for a woman. From the choice of food to pregnancy woes to sexual life, the list is neverending. This article is an attempt to answer some important queries and doubts that every woman has during pregnancy.
- Sex during pregnancy: This is a common question that bothers most couples. Some fear that having sex during pregnancy can harm the baby, cause a miscarriage or other serious complications. However, most physicians suggest that there is nothing to be sceptical about in the case of a normal and healthy pregnancy. Having sex will neither affect the baby or pregnancy. Women who have complications during pregnancy are, however, advised to avoid sex during this phase.
- Exercise and meditation during pregnancy: Pregnancy can be stressful for some women. From morning sickness to cramps, insomnia to mood swings, there are many health issues that a woman has to face during pregnancy. Exercise and meditation come as a much-needed saviour. Meditation is known to be a great stress buster. It helps a pregnant woman deal with the situation better. Women with morning sickness benefit greatly from exercise and meditation. Swimming is also an excellent exercise to indulge upon during pregnancy. However, to play it safe, consult your gynaecologist before you try out any exercise or meditation. Avoid doing very strenuous exercise or physical activity.
- Pregnancy diet: The diet of a pregnant woman will have an impact on the overall development of the fetus. The baby will derive its nutrition from the mother. Thus, one should be careful with the choice of foods during pregnancy. Foods rich in proteins, folic acid, calcium, and iron should be consumed more during pregnancy. Green leafy vegetables, fortified cereals, pasta are an excellent source of folic acid. Eggs, nuts, fish, poultry, dried beans, and peas are rich in iron and proteins. Milk, cheese, yoghurt, and juices (calcium fortified) takes care of the calcium requirement. The diet, however, changes with each trimester. Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet. Foods such as alcohol, tuna fish (fish which have high mercury content), caffeinated drinks and beverages, raw meat, and unpasteurized foods are best left untouched during pregnancy.
- Medications: It goes without saying that during pregnancy, no medicines should be taken without consulting the doctor. Self-medication can prove to be dangerous.
- Effect of pregnancy on professional life: Pregnancy seldom affects one's professional life. However, avoid work that leaves you physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted and stressed out.
- Take a walk: Pregnant women sometimes get benefit from walking in the morning and evening.
- Sleep well: It is important to take rest and sleep well during pregnancy.
Lastly, stay happy and cheerful as much as you can. Pregnancy can be difficult, but with a little effort, you can make it memorable and enjoyable.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!