If your blood sugar has shot to the border level, but not quite high enough to be considered as Diabetes, think of it as a blessing. You are given the opportunity to take corrective measures and prevent the onset of diabetes. The ball is still in your court and you can take the right steps to prevent it from evolving to Type 2 Diabetes.
Here are the best ways to prevent:
- Know where do you stand: Find out your blood sugar levels by getting a blood sugar test done. Being older than 45 with a Body Mass Index above 25, puts you at a greater risk, so get your blood sugar checked. Even more pressing reasons to get checked can be high blood pressure or cholesterol or history of diabetes in the immediate family.
- Eat healthy: Food is medicine and what you feed your body, impacts the most on your overall health. Is your diet full of fast food and highly processed foods? Then, its time to change to a well-balanced diet full of wholesome nutrients. Eat regularly scheduled meals with a wide variety of foods in order to avoid extreme blood sugar spikes.
- Bust the stress: Chronic stress tends to suppress your immune system and lead to grave consequences. Since, stress aggravates your blood sugar levels, practice techniques of Yoga and meditation to drive stress away from your life.
- Move your body: When you are at a greater risk of diabetes it is time to act and avoid a sedentary lifestyle. Regular exercise can help you manage your overall health and boost your energy levels. Also, exercise keeps blood sugar levels from spiking after meals and active muscles will use insulin efficiently. Maintain a good fitness regime with 30 minutes of moderate exercise like walking, jogging, aerobics at least 5 days a week and opt for intensive exercises like cardio, weight training or strength training at least twice a week.
- Get quality sleep: Deprivation of sleep derails metabolism. According to studies, people who clock less than 6 hours of sleep are more likely to see their blood sugar climb up into the pre-diabetes territory. A short sleep for a prolonged time can potentially set the stage for high blood sugar.
- Medication: In most cases, simple lifestyle changes like the above will help to prevent Type 2 diabetes. But in special cases, you can visit a doctor and he may prescribe certain drugs to keep the glucose production in check.
Prediabetes is a warning sign and a good wakeup call for you. So, wake up and take the right steps for a better tomorrow.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!