Are you a runner? In case you are, then it is vital that you understand what your body needs to run extra miles. It's not just about running, it's all about how you can push yourself until the end of finishing line or your target.
Generic Tips for Beginners
- Right Shoes- Most Important: Go for specialised running shoes that are easily available in the market now at an affordable price. It is advisable to buy a shoe which is one size up.
- Support- A Must: For women, it's a must to go for a good sports bra. It's meant for flat-chested women as well. This will avoid any kind of discomfort such as sagging of breasts, or even pain and discomfort.
Remember that excess running affects Cooper's ligament that supports the breasts.
If you are a man, go for tight but comfy underwear. That will reduce abrasion.
Keep a Close Watch: In the initial stage, you should run only comfortable miles. Gear up with a close-fitting comfortable sports outfit so that you can breathe, and your sweat is whipped.
Watch your Pace: Running is different than cycling or swimming. Even if you have mastered other sports, go slow with running. Gradual increase is always advisable.
Need a Commitment: Track your progress. Run at least thrice a week.
Specific Physio Tips
- Run and Rest: Rest is equally important. When you run, your body needs time to repair. It means body needs a balance of tissue wear and tear and tissue fortification.
- Know you Injury Cause: You must identify what's the cause of your injury so that accordingly you deal with it. Many websites can help you with that.
- What does your Body Say? Initially, it's normal that your body aches at few spots. Use a simple formula of RICE (rest, ice, compress and elevate) However, if it persists, then see a physiotherapist.
- Toughen: You need to identify your weaknesses so that you work on them to toughen yourself. Calf muscles, glutes and quads are commonly affected. Tough muscles absorb the effect more efficiently.
- Steady: You need to have control on your movements. Poor control leads to adverse effect on running. You can check it by assessing your single leg balance and single knee dip. Check if your body is balanced.
- Stretch your Body: This helps you to get rid of muscle tightness or joint stiffness.
- Adapt: Listen to your body and adopt the method of running that gives you painless run.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!