Obesity and wellness
How obesity could lead to increased risk of cancer?
Local inflammation or organ inflammation
People who are obese are more likely than normal weight individuals to develop chronic local inflammation affecting organs which over time can cause dna damage and lead to organ cancers.
Insulin and cancer
People who are obese over time are often found to have increased blood levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 (igf-1). High levels of insulin and igf-1 may promote the development of colon, kidney, prostate, and other endometrial cancers. Insulin resistance due to obesity is a risk factor cancer.
Hormones play havoc
Fat cells produce what are called as adipokines, which are hormones that may stimulate or inhibit cell growth. An adipokine called leptin, which is responsible for promoting controlled cell proliferation in the blood increases with increasing body fat which could over time trigger uncontrolled cell proliferation.
Higher amounts of estrogen produced by fat tissue, can drive the development of some cancers, such as breast and endometrial cancers
Here are the immediate steps to be taken by people who have been obese for over years now to reduce risk of cancer.
1. Immediately stop consumption of any processed food (processed dairy derivatives, processed cold storage food, canned food, sodas, ready to eat packs, instant noodles all fast food).
2. Your diet should consist of green leafy vegetables as they have anti-carcinogenic and blood purification properties, pules bell peppers, broccoli, sweet potato and peanuts for balanced intake of proteins, healthy fat which is essential for regulated cell functioning and complex carbohydrate rich in nutrients. Depending upon your metabolic type it is always better to develop a diet that best suites you in consultation with your nutritionist.
3. Add turmeric to your daily diet, (anti-inflammatory properties) refer to my postings on turmeric to have a complete understanding of how it helps and simple every day recipes to include turmeric into your diet.
4. Stop using processed oils for making your dishes and start using virgin coconut oil or virgin olive oil
5. Go for 21 days (minimum) detoxification program by carving out a diet (completely natural diet) that will flush out oxidants, toxins from the body.
6. Periodic fasting helps in reducing obesity as well as decreasing the risk of cancers.
This when followed consistently for at least 2 months, will reduce the risk of cancer in people who are obese for over years now. Consequently it is required to make certain lifestyle changes a must and a priority through out your life. You could refer to my previous postings on obesity for this.