Nausea and Vomiting during Pregnancy!
96% (4642 ratings)
M.Sc - Dietitics / Nutrition (Delhi University)
5 years experience
Nausea (feeling like vomiting) and vomiting are common, especially during the early months of pregnancy.
Are there things I can do to make myself feel better?
There are many comfort measures to help pregnant women who suffer from nausea and vomiting during early pregnancy. Changes in diet, sleep pattern and lifestyle can help.
Few suggestions are given below:-
1. Changes in lifestyle
* Get up slowly from lying down position and do not lie immediately after eating.
* Keep your head higher than your feet when lying down.
* Go outside for fresh air as much as possible.
* Rest or nap often
* Dentify conditions which make vomiting worse, such as certain foods, odours, activities or stress and avoid them.
* Wait about half an hour after dinner to brush your teeth
2. Changes in diet
* Eat bland foods that are high in carbohydrates and low in fat such as toast, bread, rice, cereal, crackers and potatoes.
* Eat foods that are high in protein such as lean meat, eggs and dishes made with beans and pulses.
* Eat foods high in vitamin b6 like whole grains and cereals, wheat germ, nuts, seeds, legumes, corn
* Avoid greasy, fatty, fried and spicy foods.
* Drink 10-12 glasses of liquids such as coconut water, buttermilk, milk and fresh juices.
* Avoid excess of tea, coffee and aerated drinks
* Do not drink alcohol
* Try to eat every 2 to 3 hours, even if you are not hungry. Have small frequent meals than large meals.
* Have a snack such as yoghurt, milk or a small sandwich before going to bed.
* Sniffing lemon or ginger can sometimes relieve nausea.
* In case if you have nausea and vomiting in the evening, have a good meal in the morning and a light meal at night and vice versa.
When should I call my doctor?
Call your doctor right away if you:
* Have been vomiting for almost 24 hours.
* Have been stomach pain, fever, dizziness, severe weakness or feel faint.
* Have weight loss of more than 2-5 kgs.
* Have very dark yellow urine or do not urinate for long periods.
* Feel your mouth is dry and your hands and feet are cold.
* Feel very thirsty.
* Have a fast heartbeat.
* Vomit blood.
found this helpful