Lower back pain is a household condition in today’s times. It has become a concern to reckon with, thanks to all the different job descriptions which require sitting for long stretches in front of desks and computers. This automatically puts a pressure on our lower back, resulting in lower back pain.
Lower back pain is actually a pain perceived in the lumbar region, which is situated below the ribcage. The spinal muscles, tendons, nerves and bones located in the lumbar spine experience severe pain which is referred to as lower back pain. Some of the major sources of lower back pains are:
- The ligaments, joints or bones get damaged
- Degeneration of the inter vertebral disc
- Irritation in the long nerve roots which start from the lower back and extend to the legs can cause pain
- Strain on the lower back muscles
Although with adequate rest lower back pain heals over time, seek advice from a doctor immediately if you have the following indications.
- Sudden fever or a feeling of chill all over your body
- Sudden weight loss
- You experience weakness in legs
- A problem in metabolic activities or improper functioning of bowels. You may feel unable to control your urine or have difficulties in bowel functions
- A persistent and severe pain in the abdomen
Factors that put you at risk
- If you are overweight
- Maintain bad postures while sitting or standing
- Follow unhealthy lifestyle habits such as excessive smoking or drinking coupled with a bad diet
- Lift heavy items/weights in your work
It is advisable to consult a doctor, if the lower back pain persists for a prolonged period. But if you have occasional bouts of pain, there are certain home remedies which you may follow:
- For a temporary pain relief, use a heating pad on the affected area. You may also take a warm bath.
- Do light exercises and yoga. Studies suggest yoga can actually heal the problem of lower back pain permanently, provided you practice it regularly. One thing you must remember is that you must exercise according to your body weight and postures.
- Physiotherapists and chiropractors use treatments such as spinal manipulations for treating the pain. It is actually applying pressures on the tissues around the affected area.
- Undergoing massage therapy is also one of the effective ways to reduce lower back pain.
- Acupuncture which involves tapping of the skin at specific points with the help of needles is the latest invention in the field of lower back pain treatment.
Finally, bring in some change in your lifestyle, if you never want to experience any kind of lower back pain. Make exercises an indispensable part of your daily life, cut down on alcohol and quit smoking immediately. To top it all, try to follow a healthy diet. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pain management specialist.