IVF - Know Complications And Ways To Address them!
86% (51 ratings)
MBBS Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
IVF Specialist, Delhi
29 years experience
Hundreds of women are undergoing IVF fertility treatments every year. This treatment has helped in making many babies. This method is safe, however in a very rare case, there may be some complication. Complications can be in the following six areas-
The complication involved are rare and the doctors tries to avoid these complications.
- Medication Side effects: The drugs used for ovarian stimulation can have mild side effects for few women. The side effects may include mild bruising and soreness at the injection site, headaches, upset stomach and mood swing. With these another side effect that arises is ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome-OHSS, this occurs when ovaries produces many follicles and fluid may leak from blood vessels to abdominal cavity and lungs. Although all these side effects can be avoided by the doctors by giving medication in a controlled way and monitoring throughout.
- Egg Retrieval: Once the egg are ripened and ready for extraction, the doctors takes them out with the help of a thin needle. In this procedure, the woman is either unconscious or conscious but on drugs so that she doesn’t feel the pain. Sometimes in the process of egg extraction, women might feel little discomfort or pain during or after the procedure. In very rare cases she can also have excessive bleeding from the ovaries or due to injury to the nearby organs while inserting the needle. Another risk while injecting the needle is occurrence of pelvis infection.
- Embryo Transfer: Gynaecologist places a speculum, a metal thing in the vagina and the embryo are placed in the uterus using catheter. This can make women experience mild cramp when catheter is inserted through the cervix.
- Multiple Pregnancy: There are high chances of multiple pregnancy in IVF treatment. Generally, in this treatment, more than one embryo is inserted, because inserting only one can reduce the chance of pregnancy significantly, hence increases the chances of having twines. The number of embryo to be inserted depends on various like patient’s age, health condition etc. the more the age more will be the number of embryos. Multiple pregnancy can affect mother and baby both like high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, early labour pain and c section delivery. So one should be clear about this fact and then make a decision wisely.
- Birth Defects: The risk of birth defect in IVF babies is slightly more than the normal born babies. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), which may be used as part of the IVF procedure, may increase the risk of sex chromosome abnormalities
- Miscarriage: Miscarriages can also occur in IVF treatments. The risk is higher in women with more age. Ectopic pregnancy can occur sometimes which need urgent medical attention, else can cause serious health issue or death. One undergone this treatment must be very careful at this stage. Any spotting or bleeding during pregnancy can be a serious issue, so always keep the doctor update with all your activities and call immediately for any help.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful