A boon for many couples who fail to conceive naturally, IVF (In-vitro fertilization) is an assisted reproductive procedure that involves a series of steps like enhancing the production of eggs via Ovulation induction; Retrieval of the egg (by a procedure known as a Transvaginal Ultrasound Aspiration) and the sperm; Mixing of the retrieved egg(s) and sperm(s) under laboratory conditions to facilitate the fertilization of the egg(s) and; the final and the most crucial step of the IVF procedure involves the Embryo Transfer followed by an implantation.
While the success of the IVF and subsequent pregnancy depends on a variety of factors, utmost care, and precaution should be taken following the implantation of the embryo. Mentioned below are few vital tips that should be followed diligently after the implantation takes place for a successful IVF.
- Rest and Relax: In most of the IVF cases, following the embryo transfer, it takes 1-5 days for an implantation to take place. During this period, one should take good care of themselves. However, avoid lying on the bed for too long. Strenuous or physically and mentally exhausting activities are a big NO. Most importantly, don't overstress yourself thinking about the outcome of the procedure.
- Research well on the IVF clinic – Ask around and choose the best IVF clinic, embryologist and the attending physician before you opt for the procedure. An experienced doctor may make things a lot easier and fruitful for you.
- Hydrosalpinx fluid: Women who had suffered from Endometriosis or a Sexually-Transmitted Disease should get a Hysterosalpingogram(HSG) or an Ultrasound scan done before the IVF procedure. The HSG goes a long way in the detection of the hydrosalpinx fluid. Without timely medical assistance, the hydrosalpinx fluid that may be present in the fallopian tube(s) can get into the uterus and spell doom affecting the transferred embryo as well as the implantation process deleteriously.
- Dietary care: What you eat can go a long way to influence the implantation. While a balanced diet is essential, processed, fast and spicy foods, simple carbohydrates, pineapple, tofu, are best left avoided. Including multivitamins, more of proteins, and folic acids will also work wonders.
- Progesterone Supplements: An elevated progesterone level in the body will make the IVF and the implantation a lot more productive. In fact, most women are given progesterone supplements (either in the form of Progesterone-in-oil shots or intramuscular injections) following the egg retrieval to boost the embryo transfer and implantation procedure.
- Endometrial thickness: Before the embryo transfer, the doctor must ensure that the endometrial lining has the desired thickness (7mm-8mm or even more).
- Avoid hot baths: Following the implantation, avoid hot or bubble baths for as long as the doctor recommends.
- Be observant: Once the implantation takes place, there can be some bleeding or brown discharge accompanied by cramps (usually mild). Do not panic as it could be an indication of some good news coming your way. Though it is always good to consult your physician.
- Keep unhealthy practices at bay: It goes without saying that an individual undergoing an IVF should avoid alcohol consumption, smoking, and substance abuse.
- Do not cough or sneeze too hard: Refrain from coughing or sneezing very hard after the embryo transfer and implantation.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!