Spondylitis is when you experience chronic back pain, especially in your upper back. What is annoying about this problem is that it not only causes you pain after you have exerted yourself, but it also leads to more pain when you have done no physical exertion at all. In addition, it stiffens your back as well as your neck. However, here are a few ways with which you can treat your spondylitis pain:
- Stretching: Try to do some normal stretching exercises every day. If that does not work out for you, consult a physiotherapist. He/she can recommend exercises that best suit the kind of pain you have been having. Even a little bit of yoga and a regular backstretch can be very beneficial.
- Maintaining a good posture: A good posture is usually hard to maintain, especially if you have been sitting in a slouchy manner from your very childhood. In order to correct your posture now, you might feel like it is causing you a lot of pain. However, over the long run, it is the best choice for you.
- A good sleeping position: The position you sleep in makes a lot of difference to spondylitis. You need to have a firm bed and a pillow. For better results, try to avoid sleeping with a pillow. You need to keep your neck in alignment to your body. Try to lie down with your face inside the bed and your back towards the ceiling. Do not sleep on a soft mattress with a huge pillow or cushion.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture, like always, is the best remedy for many problems in your body. It helps regulate blood flow and also helps in relaxing the muscles that might be stiff. Spondylitis pain usually occurs when the muscles in your back are really stiff. Acupuncture helps unwind these muscles at the exact pressure points.
- Massage: A warm massage can be very helpful. Like acupuncture, you can feel the tension go away later. However, you will feel a little bit of pain while the procedure takes place. This pain is very relaxing most of the times.
- Yoga: Yoga is a natural pain reliever in every sense. However, do not be hyper flexible and opt for difficult poses. You need to start with the basic stretch poses and then advance further as you keep on getting flexible. Doing yoga on a daily basis will help you realize how far you have come and gotten rid of the pain caused by spondylitis.
There are many treatments like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and other kinds of medications that can help you with spondylitis. Even surgeries are performed in the worst case scenarios. However, the above-mentioned are some of the tried, tested and most effective methods to get rid of spondylitis pain.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!