With exam time around the corner, the stress is on both parents and students. Some kids spend very less time with books and understand all that is there in them. Other children may have a hard time trying to focus on studies and even harder time in recollecting what they have studied.
What can help improve focus, concentration and memory? Try some of these tips and identify what works for you and build your own rules.
- Create a suitable environment - Some claim that they study better with the TV or radio on, this is often not true. Get rid of background noises, phone ringtones, etc, these create “division of attention,” and there is no 100% focus on books. Sit in a quiet environment without any disturbance for better focus. Red walls are believed to improve concentration, so try a red wallpaper, red computer desktop, etc. Sit in the same place and get into a regular routine of studying.
- Draw up a schedule or timetable - Try to finish the tougher subjects or topics first by giving adequate time to them.
- Treat yourself - When you have thoroughly understood a topic or cracked a practice exam well, treat yourself with a bar of chocolate or a video song. You begin to do better in anticipation of these treats.
- Include breaks - A break of 15 minutes every two hours is very essential for the brain to process the information that was pumped in and to get ready for the next lot.
- Work on improving brain power - Learning (memorizing or analyzing) encourages the brain and improves brain power. So, people who are constantly studying can claim to have better brain power.
- Build a concentration clock - With our attention spans spiralling down, this is very important. Force yourself to sit in one place and study. If you have the urge to break, try to delay it, first by two minutes, then five minutes, and then 10 minutes. This will gradually help you overcome the urge to take breaks.
- Have healthy food - Eating healthy and nutritious food is another habit to develop, if you want to improve your memory. Ensure your food has sufficient minerals and vitamins. Try eating fresh food and dairy products adequately.
- Follow a systematic sleep routine - If you are not someone who likes to sleep for fixed eight hours, begin doing it. This works wonders for the body and mind like very few other things.
- Exercise regularly - This improves blood circulation to the brain and improves brain functioning. So be it cycling or running, gymming or swimming, take an exercise break. Yoga or meditation are equally efficient.
All these tips can help you do wonders with your study this exam season.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!