If you are thinking about undergoing hair transplantation, it is important for you to know about the procedure in detail, and the various steps it involves. Hair transplantation is a surgical technique in which hair follicles from the donor site are moved to a bald or balding part called the recipient site. The procedure is commonly used for treating male pattern baldness.
This is a minimally invasive procedure in which grafts containing hair follicles are transplanted to the bald scalp. Here are some facts about hair transplantation you should know about:
- This is a surgical procedure which yields permanent results. You should undertake proper research before going for hair transplantation. Choosing the right surgeon is very important.
- Several factors are considered to assess a person’s donor supply. These include the examination of your scalp by means of a Densitometer. The scalp laxity of the patient is another important factor.
- It is recommended not to move a large amount of hair during a single transplantation session. Extra long sessions are associated with the risk of sub-optimal growth.
- There are limitations on the blood supply of the scalp for sustaining the growth of newly transplanted grafts. In case of very large grafts, overwhelming blood supply results in poor hair growth.
- The chances of a successful hair transplant are more in patients who are older. Hair loss starting at an early age is unpredictable and increases the chances of extensive hair loss in the future.
- A hair transplant takes almost one full year to mature completely. The hair grows at a slow rate that is hard to notice.
- In spite of technological advances in hair restoration, doctors are dependent on a person’s donor supply which is limited. In many cases, the donor area is too thin to aid hair transplantation.
- The density depends on the amount of hair that is transplanted to a certain area, and not on the size of the grafts.
- In case of a scalp reduction, the size of a bald area is decreased by cutting it out. For closing the gap, the scalp has to be advanced from the sides and back of the scalp.
- Many people think that laser hair transplant is a modern procedure, while actually it was introduced about twelve years ago. It is usually not employed by the best hair transplant surgeons. Lasers are not an integral part of hair transplantation as they are only used for making the recipient sites during the surgery.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!