Menopause brings about a lot of changes (physical, mental, emotional) within a woman. From hormonal imbalance to mood swings, she braves them all. One of the common occurrence associated with menopause is hair fall. As already mentioned, the hormonal imbalance is an integral part of menopause. The testosterone level shoots up while there is a dip in the estrogen level. The testosterone produced in excess gets converted to another hormone - Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the main wrecker in chief that latches itself to the hair follicles. As a result, the hair follicle abruptly enters into the resting phase or the Telogen phase. There is thus an increased hair fall with reduced hair regrowth.
The deficiency of estrogen is also known to cause dryness of the scalp, thereby accelerating the hair loss. The hair loss can also be an outcome of stress, insomnia, or any other health problems triggered by menopause. Natural remedies for treating hair loss triggered by Menopause
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: It can go a long way to balance the hormone thereby arresting the hair loss. However natural remedies along with a proper diet and healthy lifestyle habits can also work wonders to deal with the hair loss.
- Moisturize the Scalp: Keeping the scalp well nourished and moisturized can help to combat the hair loss. To deal with the dryness, you can massage your scalp with the extracts of Aloe vera for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with a mild shampoo. The use of hibiscus paste or neem paste (antifungal, antibacterial properties) will also produce fruitful results.
- Oil massage: An oil massage (coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, evening primrose oil) will improve the circulation, ensuring healthy hair growth. The evening primrose oil is also effective in inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to DHT. (You can also consume it in capsule form). Go for a warm oil massage at least twice a week, keep it for 30 minutes and rinse it off with a mild shampoo that suits your hair.
- Hair mask: A hair mask comprising of olive oil and egg is known to promote hair growth to a great extent. All you need is two eggs (well beaten) and olive oil (~ 4 tbsp). Mix the ingredients well and apply it throughout your hair. Wash it off after 10 minutes.
- Drink fluids: For people dealing with hair problems, keeping the body well hydrated is important. In addition to water, you can also sip on coconut water or fresh fruit juice at regular time intervals. In fact, papaya, watermelon, cucumber are also known to keep the body hydrated and moisturized.
- Healthy lifestyle habits: Do not compromise with your sleep. Maintain the body weight within healthy limits. Exercise regularly (30 minutes a day can also be of great help).
- Smoking and drinking should be within limits. Avoid getting overstressed (meditation and breathing exercise may help).
- Switch over to a healthy and nutritious diet: Include more of proteins, vitamins (Vitamin C and E), lots of fruits and vegetables, foods rich in antioxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!