While we all wish to avoid emotional distress due to the sense of loss and fear attached to it, we invariably become a victim of such pain at some point in time in our lives. Here the irony is that the more we want to escape pain, the nearer it comes to us, and the more intense its effects get.
There is hardly an individual around the globe who have not gone through ups and downs, but it doesn't signify that there is something wrong in the life we lead. It only manifests that we are human beings who can withstand the wrongs and hope for a better tomorrow.
Here are some coping strategies when you are down with mental agony.
- Face the odds: When you are suffering from emotional turmoil, all the negative feelings right from anger to frustration to distress are what comprise you. You should surrender to what is taking a toll on you and accept it in a way as if you have chosen it.
- Give yourself some time: You will need some time to drive yourself out of the darkness and accept the presence of your emotional pain. Time can help you rest, heal and recover completely from the grasp of the pain and suffering. You should be gentle with yourself throughout the process and have a faith that everything happens the way it is meant to happen.
- Observe your pain and suffering: When you are down with emotional pain, you should suffer, but consciously. You must observe your anguish, sadness, and stream of negative thoughts. The terrible feelings that feed your pain should be considered objectively. You should never allow the pain to become a part of who you are.
- Accept the pain and let go: No one in the world wants to stay amidst pain and suffering. Everybody tries to do away with it, and in an attempt of running away from pain, we invariably fall into its trap. There are situations in which pain demands to be felt, and thus you should understand it and find out the reason behind it. This way you will be able to help it go away.
- Spend a lot of time with yourself: When you love somebody, you tend to spend a lot of time with that person. During spans of pain, you are the one who needs to be by your side and therefore, you should give yourself quality time and help the pain to mitigate instead of becoming emotionally dependent on someone else. You can indulge in any activity that you enjoy from painting to walking to swimming to trekking. It could be anything but make sure it helps you breathe free.
Pain always comes with a message. Once you get to decipher this message, it becomes easier to find out coping strategies and ways to mitigate the pain while the pain eventually subsides.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!