Are you planning on undergoing hair transplantation because of extensive hair loss? A hair transplantation surgery is effective in making up your lost hair, but there are several facts you should know before undergoing the procedure. There are certain strict do’s and don’ts associated with hair transplantation, both before and after the process.
Before hair transplantation
- Wash your hair well before the surgery day on the morning of the surgery.
- Wear clothes which do not need to be pulled off over your head after the surgery.
- Arrange for transportation for going back home.
- Do not take aspirin or other anti-inflammatory medicines for seven days before the procedure.
- Do not consume alcohol, take vitamin B, E supplements for seven days before the surgery.
- Do not smoke for three days before, and on the day of the surgery.
After hair transplantation
- Remember all instructions given by the surgeon for care after the procedure. Although there are general guides for care, you should listen to your surgeon and his guidelines.
- Try keeping your scalp dry on the first day after transplantation, which enables your skin to heal.
- Keep your scalp clean during the recovery process. Soreness and numbness may be felt, and you should not put anything on your scalp that may cause side effects.
- Take proper care of your scar. Scarring and itching are likely and you should deal with these using topical creams prescribed by your surgeon.
- You may take painkiller medications to ease discomfort and pain, three to four hours after the procedure.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight immediately after the hair transplantation, and also for the next few days.
- Avoid touching or fidgeting with your grafted scalp. Picking and rubbing your sore scalp may cause the new grafts to fall out before getting the chance to grow.
- Do not take alcohol for the first five days after the hair transplantation procedure.
- Abstain from smoking for one month after the procedure as it disrupts the flow of blood to your hair follicles.
- Do not involve yourself in any form of sports activity or exercise right after the procedure. You may resume working out after a period of ten days, and you must wait for one month to get back to other physical activities and sports.
- Avoid engaging in activities which result in intense sweating. Sweating enhances the risk of infections to your grafted scalp. You should also avoid steam baths or sauna treatments for one month after the procedure.
In case you are a diabetic, you need to talk to your surgeon about ways of handling your diet and insulin management, before and on the day of the hair transplantation procedure.