Cholesterol is a type of fat found in the body and is needed for vital body functions such as building new cells, producing hormones & insulation.
The liver makes all the cholesterol which is required by the body.
Cholesterol is of two types:
LDL means a high chance of cardiac disease, while HDL means less
or decreased risk
Cholesterol increases the inflammatory disease of the arterial walls called as atherosclerosis in which there is blocking of artery due to fat deposition, which ultimately leads to heart attack.
Normal levels: 200 mg|dl
|SIGN & SYMPTOMS:|
They are hard to find and high cholesterol is quite often detected in routine tests only
Pain in chest
Impotency may be due to arteries affected by excessive blood cholesterol.
An increase in the blood level of cholesterol does not have any obvious symptoms. But is a risk factor for other conditions such as angina (pain in chest), Atherosclerosis, Heart disease, Highblood pressure & Stroke
|DO & DONT'S:|
Check your diet. Not more than 30% of total calories should be from fat.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOW CHOLESTEROL DIETS.
1. Do not use any hydrogenated fats e.g. ghee, butter, margarine
(unless specified), vanaspati, coconut oil, and palm oil. Use instead safflower (karadi) oil, soya bean oil, sunflower oil, dietary, saffola, mazola or corn oil.
2. Avoid egg yolks and foods containing egg yolks e.g. mayonnaise, cakes, sauces, although egg white only is permitted.
3. Avoid all foods baked with fat (shortening lard etc.)e.g. cakes, pies, doughnuts etc.
4. Avoid whole milk, cream, cheese, whole milk curds and sweets made with concentrated milk e.g. gulab jamun, shrikhand, Mawa, chocolates et. Use only skimmed milk and its preparations, paneer made from skimmed milk can be used
5. All organ meats are to be avoided e.g. kidney, liver, brain,
sweetbreads etc. Fat should be trimmed of all meat before use.
Deskin chicken before cooking. Avoid pork, ham and bacon. Avoid shellfish, clams, prawns, lobsters, fish roe, and fish liver oil. Use, fish and deskinned chicken. Meat used should be lean and its use judicious. Stews and meat stock if made earlier can be chilled and the congealed fat should be scraped off and discarded.
6. Nuts all nuts are permitted except groundnut, cashew nuts which
must be avoided.
7. Decrease the use of refined foods in your diet, e.g. maida, cornflour, spaghetti, macaroni etc. Increase and include instead, high fiber foods e.g salads, greens, chapattis (made with atta), leafy vegetables etc.
8. Roast and boil foods on a rack so fat can drain off. Make use of non-stick vessels/pan and decrease consumption of fats and oils whilst cooking
1.Follow maintenance Diet-Controlled carbohydrate, controlled and modified fat, low cholesterol
Control the carbohydrate foods that you eat. Carbohydrate (sugar and starch) foods are limited. This means that sugar is not allowed, jaggery, honey and refined foods e.g. macaroni, spaghetti, bread, biscuits should be limited. Free Foods i.e. Foods Allowed.
Clear Soup Soda
Coffee Flavoring Essence
Suggestions for Meals away from Home.
When you eat out daily, it is wise to select one particular restaurant some of your food requires special preparation. A regular customer is more like to receive special attention.
Trim off all fat. The safest choice is a chop, steak, chicken (deskinned) or fish. Request that the meat be made without fat. e.g. Tandoori Chicken, grilled kababs, tikkas.
Most Vegetables are not limited. However, avoid those that are made in cream (malai) e.g. Vegetable Makhanwalla; cheese or whole milk. Ask that your serving of vegetables be made without fat.
Avoid salads with creamy dressings, mayonnaise, and cheese.
Instead, take Kachumber or mixed salads etc.
Limit the amount according to your diet plan.
Limit according to your diet plan. Avoid, rolls, biscuits, muffins, take instead phulka, chapattis, bhakri etc.
Skim Milk, Thin lassi (non-sweet) lie juice (non-sweet), fresh lime and soda, coconut water, tomato juice (not tinned, non-sweet) tea/coffee (non-sweet) these are allowed.
For dessert choose a fresh fruit (not tinned) e.g fresh papaya slice, watermelon slice, plums cherries, fresh orange etc.
|CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR:|
If you see soft, yellow skin growth on yourself or your children.
If you experience symptoms due to increase in cholesterol
contact For example
Pain in chest.
Pain in legs.
A thick speech.