Dengue is a mosquito-borne disease that causes severe body pain, fever, rash, dehydration, and weakness in the body. The major cause of dengue is Flaviviridae. It is generally called DENV (Dengue Virus). It generally occurs in tropical parts of the world.
Dengue is a fairly new disease in the world, and not many people understand how to care for a patient going through dengue fever. This article will present the steps that should be taken by someone who is suffering from Dengue.
Initial Steps One Should Take
The first step of caring when contacted with this disease is to go to a doctor and get checked. Doctor will get some tests done to verify that the condition is indeed Dengue. After the doctor prescribes medication, self-care begins. Here are some.
Do’s and Don’ts one should follow which help to cure from Dengue Fever.
● The rise of Hematocrit (PCV) should be checked every day and informed by the physician.
● A thermometer should be present at all times to check the temperature of the patient.
● If the patient has a high fever, then dip a sponge in cool water and slowly wash the body with it.
● Upon high fever, one should only take Paracetamol and Acetaminophen. Doctor should be consulted before taking any medication.
● The patient should also check the number of trips taken to the bathroom, in order to keep a track of the urination cycle.
● Check if the patient has a dry mouth and lips. Dehydration is very common with people contacted with dengue and needs to have water and electrolytes supplements every now and then.
● It is very important to check the CBC (complete blood count) of the patient daily as directed by physician. Call a pathology technician evenryday to get a blood test as recommended by the doctor to keep the platelet and the haematocrits in check.
● Do not take antibiotics, Ibuprofen or Aspirin.
● Do not take artificial fruit juice for hydration purposes.
● Do not agitate.
● Do not take unsupervised supplements to increase platelet counts.
● Do not use alternative medications like herbs as they can cause an allergic reaction.
● Do not stay without food for too long.
● Do not take any kind of sleeping pills if the patient is having difficulty sleeping.
Dengue is a troublesome disease which can be disastrous if not taken care of properly. That is why it is very important to know the do’s and don’ts for caring about this disease. However, consulting a doctor or getting hospitalised in the worst cases will always be a good idea.