Can You Improve Your Chances of Getting Pregnant?
Dr. Asha Khatri
89% (4246 ratings)
MD - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology
41 years experience
Sometimes getting pregnant is not a very easy task and may end up taking a long time. But once you've decided to start a family of your own, it becomes harder to wait for it to happen. Here are 5 things you can do increase your chances of getting pregnant.
- Have missionary sex at least once every 2-3 days: The key is to have regular unprotected sex for over a year. The success rate for this is 84%. It is advised that you have sex every two to three days in every month of the year, and it's not necessary to stick to only those days for having sex when the woman is ovulating. Further, a spiced up sex life can increase your chances of the girl getting pregnant. As for the position, the missionary position works best as it helps the sperm on travelling through the cervix, which in any other position proves to be difficult. You can make the path of the sperm even easier by placing a cushion under the woman as it tilts the uterus, allowing the sperm to travel through more easily.
- Keeping track of the ovulation period: Even though regular sex throughout the month is advised, it is certainly more fruitful to know your cycle. You can only get pregnant when the sperm meets the egg, and the egg is only released around the 14th day in your cycle. This egg lives only for a day or two, so you have a limited window when you can actually get pregnant. Typically this window is approximately of 6 days, so it?s best to have sex in this period. But it's important not get obsessive and put too much pressure to have sex on these days as the stress can reduce sperm quality. So be mindful of it and still enjoy the activity rather than being obsessive. There are several free apps that you can download to help you track your cycle.
- Ensuring the sperm health: Cutting down on coffee, cigarettes and alcohol and maintaining an ideal weight as well as increasing the consumption of folic acid are necessary steps to ensure healthy and fertile sperm quality. Alcohol reduces sperm production, smoking causes low sperm count and slow-moving sperm, while being overweight can affect a man's libido and performance. The same goes for caffeine or drinks that contain a high amount of soda. Besides, prolonged exposure to heat on the testicular area should also be avoided to ensure that the man?s sperm is healthy. So avoid keeping laptops on your lap, saunas and jacuzzis, hot baths, steam rooms, long drives or wearing tight underwear.
- Try de-stressing: Psychological preparedness is as important as physical preparedness to maximise your chances of getting pregnant. These days couples lead very hectic and stressful lifestyles in which trying to get pregnant can only add to their stress levels. Increased stress lowers egg passage in women. Besides, trying too hard to get pregnant and the stress that it creates is the reason behind 30% of all infertility problems. In such cases, destressing by exercising, yoga, meditation or acupuncture is a good idea.
- Don't put off having a baby for too long: Women are at their peak fertile period in their early twenties, but these days many women opt for starting a family at a later age. Having a baby post the age of 30 can pose problems as fertility levels tend to drop. Post the age of 31 fertility in women drops by 3% per year and continues at the same rate till 35. After the age of 35 the rate of decline accelerates.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
found this helpful