Mosquito bites are a common occurrence but do you know, at least 1 million people die every year due to diseases spread by these mosquitoes, as per World Health Organization (WHO). So what should you do to prevent mosquito breeding at home?
Using Camphor or camphor oil is the best solution, as it is a natural repellent. Camphor oil or commonly known as Kapoor ka Tel offers a number of health benefits that most of us are not aware of. It is a popular sedative, stimulant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, and decongestant.
It is extracted from the camphor tree, the scientific name of which is Cinnamomum camphora. Other common Ayurvedic names of camphor are Ghanasara, Sheetabhra, Himavaluka, and Sphatika. Additionally, apart from the cooling effect, camphor oil also has a strong aroma.
1. Camphor Oil as Stimulant: Camphor oil actively boosts the functioning of the various organs of the body including the circulatory, excretory, digestive system, and the overall metabolism. Camphor oil has a scraping nature which helps in maintaining Kapha dosha, level of cholesterol, and prevents clotting in blood vessels.
2. Camphor Oil as Antiseptic: Camphor oil is an excellent disinfectant and is mixed with other herbal oils before it is applied. In many households, it is used as a water disinfectant, especially during the rainy season. A cloth soaked in camphor oil, when kept in a room, drives away all the insects and germs. A few drops of camphor oil when poured into a container of grains keeps it safe from the insects. Camphor oil lotions are used for treating various forms of infections. It disinfects the body and also has the power to keep lice away.
3. Camphor Oil as a remedy for cough: If anyone of you is suffering from chronic cough, then camphor is a very good remedy. Just put a few drops of it in boiling water and inhale the vapor.
4. Camphor Oil as Anesthetic: Camphor oil is an excellent agent for local anesthesia, as you will feel a numbness after applying it. Further, it can soothe nerve disorders and convulsions. Camphor oil when applied with a carrier oil is very beneficial for controlling Parkinson’s disease, nervousness, and epileptic attacks.
5. Camphor Oil as Aphrodisiac: Consumption of camphor oil can boost your libido as it can stimulate that portion of your brain, which controls the sexual desire. External application of camphor oil can treat erectile problems, by enhancing the circulation of blood.
6. Camphor Oil as Antineuralgic: Neuralgia is related to swelling of the blood vessels and camphor oil is an excellent cure for it. It decreases the pressure caused by the blood vessels thus reducing pressure on the Ninth Cranial Nerve.
7. Camphor Oil as Antirheumatic: Camphor oil can easily stimulate the circulatory system because of its stimulating properties, which is a crucial factor in managing arthritis, gout, and other rheumatic problems. Mix it with olive or sesame oil and then apply it on your skin, but make sure the concentration of camphor should not cross 11%.
Apart from these properties, camphor oil is used in treating hysteria, epilepsy, food poisoning, whooping cough, and many other problems. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Update From Lybrate: Choosing the best cooking oil is a tough task. To ease your trouble, we at Lybrate have brought some Healthy Cooking Oil products which will look after your overall health.