There is no denying the fact that a perfect figure can enhance your personality to a great extent, adding an alluring charm that people will find hard to ignore. The size of one's breast can play a significant role, affecting one's overall appearance. Heavy breasts can be physically discomforting (skin maceration, backaches, neck and shoulder aches, problems during exercises or physical activities,) not to forget the public humiliation and mockery that it brings along. Some men with a medical condition known as Gynecomastia also end up having enlarged breasts making the situation awkward and embarrassing for them.
To deal with the embarrassment and physical discomfort, many people retort to the various breast reduction surgical procedures. The breast reduction procedures have helped millions of people achieve the desired breast shape and size. However, the success of the breast reduction procedures depends on many factors.
There are things that a person should be aware of before opting for a breast reduction.
- A breast reduction surgery or a reduction mammoplasty is no small thing. It is a decision that is going to make an impact in your life and overall appearance in ways beyond your imagination. You cannot expect the surgery to work miracles overnight. Be more realistic about your expectations and do not take such an important decision in haste.
- Not every individual with enlarged breasts can undergo a breast reduction. A person has to be physically fit (without any medical conditions) with sound mental and emotional stability. People who are severely obese and those into heavy smoking are often considered unfit for the surgery. For pregnant and lactating women, an immediate breast reduction surgery may not be a wise idea.
- Teenagers and adolescents are considered unfit for a breast reduction as their breast are yet not fully developed and matured. The minimum age for a breast reduction is 21 years.
- Your choice of the surgeon is crucial. While an experienced surgeon can bring about the desired result with minimum or no complications, an inexperienced surgeon can worsen up things for you. Research on the surgeon, their credentials, work history and success rate well.
- The breast reduction surgeries involving the latest and advanced technologies will be an expensive affair. Make sure you are financially prepared to take the plunge.
- The recovery time following the surgery may stretch between six-seven weeks (or even more in some cases). During the recovery, there will be restrictions and precautionary measures that a person should follow.
- Lifting heavy articles, indulging in strenuous and rigorous exercise and physical activities should be avoided for at least four-six weeks (or as the doctor recommended).
- Driving is a big No for a month or two or as advised by the doctor.
- Depending on how well your incisions heal, there may be some pain and swelling in the breasts.The breast for the first few days may also appear sensitive and tender. For better support, wear a well-fitted bra (preferably an athletic or a sports bra).
- Consult a doctor in the case of severe bleeding, excruciating pain, hematoma or a loss of sensation in the breasts and nipples that lasts longer than usual.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!