ANGINA PECTORIS [ANGINA]
Pain in the region of heart on exertion is known as angina pectoris.
• Inadequate supply of blood and oxygen to the heart is the main reason.
• Atherosclerosis of the coronary artery.
• Increased triglycerides and cholesterol.
• Sedentary life.
• Lack of exercise.
• Sudden emotional upsets.
• Chronic consumption of alcohol.
• Chronic smoking.
• Drug abuse like – cocaine etc.
• Diabetes mellitus.
• Family history.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS:
• Pain in chest – crushing, constricting, sharp, burning pain with feeling of strangling and suffocating,
• Pain may radiate to both arms or mostly along the left arm to the little finger and the jaw, teeth, neck throat, epigastric region and between the shoulder blades.
• Pain is precipitated from exertion or on physical activity and subsides on rest.
• Pains last for few seconds to few minutes.
• May be associated with – short breath, anxiety, palpitation and nausea.
• Cut down salt (common table salt) intake in your diet to avoid hypertension. Intake should not exceed more then 2 to 2.5 gm a day.
• Avoid foods rich in cholesterol: ground nut oil, ghee, butter, whole milk, eggs, lard (fats derived from pig meat), tallow (fats derived from goat or sheep mutton), oily fish, meats and red meat – all non-vegetarian food contain cholesterol in varied amount.
• Avoid non-vegetarian food especially red meat.
• Increase intake of foods that contain PUFA's (poly unsaturated fatty acids) flax / linseed oil is the richest source of PUFA's. Other oils that contain PUFA's are sesame oil, mustard oil and olive oil. As all oils are high in fats, its consumption should be limited. The intake of oils should not exceed 20gms a day.
• Sesame oil and almond oil hinders the absorption of LDL (low-density lipoproteins), so it is advisable to use replace other cooking oils by sesame oil.
• Reduce weight if obese.
• Stop smoking and alcohol consumption.
• Exercise regularly.
• Take brisk walks for 40 minutes daily morning.
• Practicing yoga and breathing exercises plays a very important role in lowering the cholesterol levels.
• Do some relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation etc to relieve the stress Change your lifestyle to reduce stress-physical or mental.