Intake of foods of high Glycemic Index (GI) worsens acne. GI measures the rate at which blood sugar levels rise because of the intake of foods containing carbohydrates such as soda, white bread, processed breakfast cereals, chips, baked and other junk foods. Diet and acne are directly related.
Therefore, you should adopt a perfect diet plan for your acne.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These have anti-inflammatory effects whereas foods with Omega-6 Fatty acids produce substances such as inflammatory prostaglandins. Such foods include walnuts, flaxseed oil, fish oil, fish roe (egg), sea foods, spinach, soybeans and chia seeds.
- Low Glycemic Foods: Eat non- starchy foods such as vegetables, legumes and fruits low on the GI count. Avoid carbs, especially simple carbs. Potatoes should be off your platter for quite some time.
- Vitamin A and Vitamin E: An ounce of almonds gives about 7.4 milligram of vitamin A. You can also consume almond milk or almond oil. Other foods rich in Vitamin A are sun flower seeds, sesame or pumpkin; Swiss chard, mustard greens, spinach, turnip greens, kale, plant oils such as wheat gram oil, sunflower oil, hazelnuts, pine nuts and avocado. Sources of vitamin A include liver, broccoli, orange, fatty fish.
- Avoid dairy products: They aggravate acne flare-ups because of the hormones contained in milk.
- Chromium Rich Foods: They stabilize levels of blood sugar. The suggested foods are orange pancakes, Tortellini and broccoli salad, alcohol-free sangria, such as grape juice, open-face ham sandwiches with Rye crisp bread. Other sources of chromium are onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and whole grains. For more effective results, include foods with Vitamin C that add to the absorption of chromium.
- Zinc-Rich Foods: Sources of zinc include cereals, wheat grams, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, meats, shell fish, squash seeds, fruits such as pomegranates and avocados, dark chocolates, spinach, mushroom, cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts.
- Avoid intake of excess iodine: Excess iodine causes acne flare-ups.