About
tab_logos
Health Feed
tab_logos
Find Doctors

Panchakarma - Treatment, Cost Procedure And Side Effects

Last Updated: Aug 21, 2020

What is Panchakarma Treatment?

Derived from the Sanskrit word Panchakarma means the “five actions” or “five treatments”. This is one of the critical processes in Ayurveda that is used to clean the body of toxic materials. Thanks to the lifestyle we follow our body finds it difficult to get rid of the harmful toxins naturally. Panchakarma treatment does this effectively.

An individual’s poor dietary habits, no exercise patterns, lifestyle have changed a lot, and as a result, the hormones and agents which regulate the body’s inherent richness have become redundant. This can lead to the spread of toxins throughout the body resulting in various diseases. The waste matter is known as “ama” in Ayurveda. Ama is a foul-smelling, sticky, harmful fluid that needs to be completely removed from the body.

Panchakarma aims to do that and correct the imbalances by eliminating the adverse amas out of your system. The Panchakarma treatment basically involves daily massages and oil baths, herbal enemas, nasal administrations. It is a very pleasurable and rejuvenating experience for both the body and the soul.

Ayurveda would recommend Panchakarma as a traditional treatment for maintaining a good physical hygiene and mental balance. Many of the Ayurvedic treatments channel Panchakarma and from the base in all its therapy methods. Due to this nature, the treatments are widely popular all over the globe.

How is the Panchakarma Treatment done?

Panchakarma is often called a fivefold therapy. It is customized to suit every individual, based on the needs of the person. It varies a lot and depends on the Ayurvedic constitutional type, the individual’s doshic imbalances, age, digestive strength and immune strength.

Depending on the needs, all or only parts of the five therapies are utilized. Sometimes two or three of the therapies are linked together to form the basis of the treatment. The five karmas in Panchakarma are:

• Vaman (vomiting)
  • Virechan (purgation)
  • Basti (enema)
  • Nasya (nasal application)
  • Rakthamoksha (blood purification)

Who would need a Panchakarma therapy?

Everyone can be an eligible candidate for the Ayurvedic massages. They are one of the safest forms of treatment available and do not cause any side effects on its own. However, pregnant women can avoid it as the pressure can be disturbing to them. Also, people who are above the age group of 75 can try for these treatments partially as the herbs and oils used may not accept their body condition. It is safe to get the consultation of an Ayurvedic expert before you go for these treatments.

Who is not eligible for Panchakarma treatment?

Pregnant women and people who are older than 75 can avoid these Panchakarma treatments at some of the herbal remedies might not suit them. On the whole, Ayurveda is one of the safest forms of treatment and can be undertaken by anyone.

pms_banner

What are the side effects of Panchakarma therapy?

No, there are no side effects. Initially, after the panchakarma treatment, your body might experience a temperature rise and sudden fever. But this is a natural phenomenon as this is your body’s way of getting rid of the toxins. Few individuals can experience cold for a few days as the herbs, and the oil use can cool your body. But these symptoms are very much temporary and should heal within a few days.

What care is necessary after Panchakarma therapy session?

You might be asked to take herbal tonics or herbal syrups for a few days after the Panchakarma treatment. You might be asked to change your diet patterns so that the herbal remedies work effectively. Apart from these, there are no specific guidelines to follow. Your Ayurvedic doctor would be the best person to suggest on this based on your body pattern.

How long does it take to recover?

No, there is no recovery period involved in panchakarma therapy session, and you can get back to your regular duties immediately post the treatment. Usually, these types of remedies are done in sessions. Hence make sure that you follow these sessions religiously as a break in the pattern cannot get the results that you desire.

Does Panchakarma therapy really work?

Ayurvedic treatments have been tested and perfected across centuries. They are extremely safe, and the treatments can be taken up by anyone irrespective of the age. Middle aged people are better candidates for such treatments as they are more prone to the physical strains of their day to day life.

How much does it cost for a Panchakarma therapy session in India?

The panchakarma treatment plans can consist of multiple sessions, and these can range between 1,200 INR to 1,500 INR per day. Also, ensure that these treatments and therapies are done at professional Ayurvedic centuries and which has been existence for a long time. These can make all the difference in getting your body supple and free of toxins.

What are the Benefits of Panchakarma treatment?

• Purifies the body
  • Removal of toxins
  • Speeding up the metabolism
  • Weight reduction
  • Improving the functionality of the digestive system
  • Opening up of blocked channels
  • Body and mind relaxation
  • Rejuvenation of tissues
  • Immunity Booster
  • Stress Reliever

Are the result of panchakarma treatment are permanent?

No, the results of the panchakarma treatment are not permanent. It depends on a lot of factors like your lifestyle, work, nature, your diet, etc. It is best recommended to have these types of panchakarma treatments once or twice a year for better benefits. The success of the therapies depends on how much you change your lifestyle and your dietary habits.

Key Highlights of Panchakarma Treatment

Safety: Very High

Effectiveness: High

Timeliness: High

Relative Risk: Very Low

Side Effects: Very Low

Recovery Time: Very Low

Price Range: RS. 1200 -1500 per day

Recovery Time: Very Low

Price Range: RS. 1200 -1500 per day

Popular Questions & Answers

I have asexual dysfunction. I want to do well b...

related_content_doctor

Dr. Arti Bakori

Ayurvedic Doctor

Hi Sandy, don't worry Ayurveda cure. According to the principles and philosophy of Ayurvedic medi...

Dear doctors, i'm physically healthy ie. No hea...

related_content_doctor

Dr. Arti Bakori

Ayurveda

Hi Arun, don't worry Ayurveda cure. According to the principles and philosophy of Ayurvedic medic...

I want baby but after sex my sperm is not remai...

related_content_doctor

Dr. Arti Bakori

Ayurveda

Hi lybrate-user, there are many reasons that your wife doesn't get pregnant. It's depends on both...

I ejaculate within seconds ,I'm just married ,I...

related_content_doctor

Dr. Arti Bakori

Ayurvedic Doctor

Hi lybrate-user, don't worry Ayurveda cure. According to the principles and philosophy of Ayurved...

Doctor i am suffering from early ejaculation. p...

related_content_doctor

Dr. Arti Bakori

Ayurveda

Hi lybrate-user, According to the principles and philosophy of Ayurvedic medicine, erectile dysfu...

Table of content

Content Details
Profile Image
Written ByDr. Shazli Azad Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)Gynaecology
Reviewed By
Profile Image
Reviewed ByDr. Bhupindera Jaswant SinghMD - Consultant PhysicianGeneral Physician
Need more help 

15+ Years of Surgical Experience

All Insurances Accepted

EMI Facility Available at 0% Rate

Find Ayurvedic Doctor near me

pms_banner
chat_icon

Ask a free question

Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors

posted anonymously
lybrate_youtubeâ–¶
lybrate_youtubeâ–¶