Lybrate Logo
Get the App
For Doctors
Login/Sign-up
Last Updated: Oct 23, 2019
BookMark

4 Myths and Facts About Asthma You Should be Aware of

Profile Image
Dr. Hemant KalraPulmonologist • 29 Years Exp.MBBS, MD -Pulmonary Medicine-Tuberculosis ,Respiratory Disease Medicine , Diploma in Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases (DTCD), European Diploma in Respiratory Medicine
Topic Image

On the occasion of World Asthma Day (3rd May, 2016), I would like to break a few myths related around Asthma which otherwise people generally believe to be true.

Myth #1 -  Asthma is a communicable disease

Fact #1 -  Asthma is an allergic disease and is neither contagious (infectious) or communicable (passed on from one person to another)

Myth #2 - Inhalers are addictive

Fact #2 - Absolutely wrong! Inhalers are not addictive but it is a good habit to keep control over asthma and use your inhalers as prescribed by your doctor. Also, contrary to popular belief that using inhalers on a regular basis reduces their effectiveness, inhalers continue to be equally effective on a regular basis.

Myth #3 - Inhalers are expensive

Fact #3 - Again, absolutely incorrect! Inhalers are in fact cheaper when compared to other drugs.

Myth #4 - Inhalers are given to patients who face Chronic Asthma

Fact #4 - Wrong! Inhalers should be used from a very early stage itself to prevent progression of the disease.

I hope this tip helped bust atleast a few notions that most people have about Asthma and that you are now better informed about this condition. In case you would like to ask me anything or discuss your or your loved one's case in detail, feel free to 'Consult' privately with me.

chat_icon

Ask a free question

Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors

posted anonymously

TOP HEALTH TIPS

doctor

View fees, clinc timings and reviews
doctor

Treatment Enquiry

Get treatment cost, find best hospital/clinics and know other details