10 Tips To Prevent Yourself From Many Voice Disorders
Written and reviewed by
BSc - Speech & Hearing, Masters in Speech Language Pathology
15 years experience
- Drink plenty of water. About eight glasses a day.
- Limit your intake of drinks that include alcohol or caffeine.
- Avoid smoking.
- Do not cradle the phone when talking. Cradling the phone between the head and shoulder for extended periods of time can cause muscle tension in the neck.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise increases stamina and muscle tone. This helps provide good posture and breathing, which are necessary for proper speaking.
- Get enough rest. Physical fatigue has a negative effect on voice.
- Avoid talking in noisy places. Trying to talk above noise causes strain on the voice.
- Avoid mouthwash or gargles that contain irritating chemicals.
- Use mic in clsarom or other similar places.
- Practice good breathing techniques when singing or talking.
found this helpful