Joint pain is caused by any injury from a disease or trauma resulting in restricted or painful movement of joints. Joints connect any two bones of the body, many conditions like arthritis, bursitis or gout or any external injury may cause joint pain. Symptoms of joint pain are:
• Pain or inflammation of joints
• Swelling or redness of joints
• Restricted movement of the joint
• Tenderness of joint
HOW IS JOINT PAIN DIAGNOSED?
The general physician will conduct a thorough physical examination to identify the source of pain. X-rays and imaging tests such as MRI may be performed to further investigate the pain and suggest a proper course of treatment.
HOW IS JOINT PAIN TREATED?
Treatment for joint pain includes medication for reducing the swelling and inflammation and also use of NSAIDS. Alongside, hot and cold compress are given and the patient would be asked to do extensive physiotherapy. Surgery is rarely needed.
DID YOU KNOW?
The knee joint is the most commonly affected joint
People of all ages and sexes suffer from arthritis. It mainly causes knee-joint pain, hip pain, muscle pain and knee pain. It often happens during old age when your bones and muscles become weak and you can no longer walk comfortably. Sitting for a long period of time in the same position can also cause knee pain. This can be an early symptom of arthritis.
There are around 100 types of arthritis the most common one’s being:
1. Infectious arthritis - This condition occurs when there is an infection which is caused by bacteria or fungi. It usually occurs due to food poisoning and contamination. The knee-joints become very infected and cause pain to occur in the joints.
2. Metabolic arthritis - We all have a certain amount of uric acid in our body. But when the amount of uric acid increases, it becomes harmful for our body, therefore metabolic arthritis occurs. In most cases, metabolic arthritis also causes disability and you can also get paralysis if proper measures aren't taken in time.
3. Psoriatic arthritis - This is also known as inflammatory arthritis. Inflammation is generated by our immune system naturally, but sometimes the inflammation gets awry and increases a lot. This causes psoriatic arthritis. It becomes very painful and regular physiotherapy heals and soothes the pain at times. This is also called rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoarthritis is very common and is caused by obesity, ageing and sometimes even injury. Severe osteoarthritis causes knee pain, muscle pain and hip pain.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis are:
1. At the end of the day, your knees and joints start paining even more.
2. Pain starts occurring during osteoarthritis, when you sit for a prolonged period of time in the same position for example sitting in a movie theatre.
3. Sometimes your knees also make a clicking noise. This is an early symptom of osteoarthritis.
4. Your joints start to swell and crack if you have osteoarthritis.
5. If the hip area is affected by osteoarthritis severe hip pain occurs.
Ways in which you can reduce arthritis:
1. Hydrotherapy- This is an extremely effective way for curing arthritis. It is also known as water therapy. Basically in hydrotherapy, you are made to exercise in water, in water you are considered light therefore the pressure of your body is not felt on your joints and knees.
2. Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs- These drugs are specially prescribed for reducing muscle pain caused due to arthritis. They are sold as creams and should only be used under a doctor’s prescription. These drugs are very strong, therefore it should be used only if the pain is immense and unbearable.
3. Painkillers- it should be taken before you go for an outdoor activity or an exercise. Outdoor activities consume a lot of energy hence, it can make your muscles contract and make you stressed out. Hence, it is important to take a painkiller like paracetamol few hours before engaging in outdoor activities.
Above are the top doctors for join pain in Panchkula, Patna, Rajkot, Surat and Thane.
Consult top doctors for Joint Pain online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Dombivali, Mira Road (E), Kalyan East, Kalyan West, Kashimira, Nagothane and in any other locality in Thane for Joint Pain.