Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ritu Prabhakar
Management of Pregnancy
Treatment of Pregnancy Symptoms
Treatment of Infertility
In Vitro Fertilization (Ivf) Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Treatment of PCOS
Submit a review for Dr. Ritu PrabhakarYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Once a couple decides to go through IVF, they prepare themselves and go through various steps to reach the final stage of embryo transfer into the uterus. Read on to know more about the journey of IVF culminating in embryo transfer. From there it is another journey through to pregnancy.
- Step 1: The nurse will help identify day 1 of your menstrual cycle, and this is important.
- Step 2: The ovaries usually produce an egg between the 12th and 16th day of the menstrual cycle. After identifying day 1, ovary-stimulating medicines (higher doses of hormones) are given to support the release of more eggs. The ovaries may be subjected to ultrasound imaging to monitor the development of eggs.
- Step 3: About 8 to 15 eggs are then retrieved under anaesthesia, these are carefully picked to ensure higher success rate of IVF. The process takes about 30 to 40 minutes in the clinic and the woman can go home and rest after this process. 1 or 2 embryos can be transferred at day 2, 3 or 5 stage of embryos.
Factors you need to consider while making a decision
- Sperm selection: Either fresh sperm or frozen sperm can be used by the couple. Fresh sperm is collected the same day as egg retrieval. Frozen sperms are thawed before use. Sperms of good quality are chosen after careful examination under a microscope to improve success rates of fertilization.
- Fertilization: This is where the name IVF is derived from. In-vitro (meaning in the glass, from the glass dish used) is where the fertilization occurs.
- Embryo development: Once fertilized, the embryo is kept in a conducive environment so that it can continue to grow optimally. The couple of kept updated on the progress here, as they would be wanting to know the status. After 5 to 6 days of fertilization, it can be implanted into the uterus.
- Embryo transfer: Once the medical team confirms that you are ready for an embryo transfer, you will be called into the doctor’s office. This is usually painless, but some women may have a slight abdominal discomfort. You will be advised to drink water and come with a full bladder. The uterus is scanned to see whether the embryo is getting placed, and having a full bladder helps clearly outline the uterus. The embryo is placed inside you via a catheter through the cervix into the uterus, under ultrasound guidance. The doctor has about 1 mm area within which it should be placed correctly for good implantation. Therefore, this placement is very critical. One embryo is placed, and the others are frozen and may be used in case of failure.
- Confirmation: After a two-week wait (2WW), a blood test is done to test for HCG levels and confirm pregnancy.
Giving birth to a baby is a blessing for a woman, but not all women are blessed. Some couples, even after trying for years, will not be able to conceive. For all those couples, there are a number of solutions available. One of the most preferred options these days is IVF or In Vitro Fertilization. With the help of this process, the egg and the sperm are combined outside the body of both male and female. This entire process is done in a laboratory by experts.
If you are opting for IVF treatment, then you should understand that the chances of twins or multiple pregnancy is really high. In many studies, it has been found that out of six IVF cases, one of them resulted in twins or multiple pregnancy.
Changes of multiple pregnancy:
Usually, there are two kinds of twins, identical twins that are produced from one single egg and non-identical twins formed from two different eggs. The number of non-identical twins depends on the number of embryos transferred to the mother’s womb. The chances of twins are high when more than 2 embryos are transferred. Usually, for a woman who is under the age of 40, 2 embryos are transferred and for a woman over 40 years, 3 embryos are transferred. So, in either case, chances of twins are still present.
Does IVF increase the chance of twins or multiple pregnancy?
Even when a single embryo is transferred to the mother’s womb, the egg may split into two and form two babies. So, whatever is the number of embryos transferred, IVF increases the chances of multiple pregnancy.
How can multiple pregnancy be avoided after IVF?
Multiple pregnancy can be a risk to both baby and mother.
- The mother may have a miscarriage due to multiple pregnancy and that could be a late miscarriage.
- There are high chances of a stillbirth and that can be dangerous for the mother as well.
- Increase in blood pressure due to multiple pregnancy is reported in many cases.
- Even if the child is born, there are chances of an unhealthy baby or a baby with a disability.
In order to avoid all these, it is very important to take care during the IVF treatment. It has been suggested that only one embryo be placed in the mother’s womb to avoid multiple pregnancy. This may not completely prevent the occurrence of twins, as the egg can split into two and produce two babies, but it will definitely reduce the risk of multiple babies to a great extent. Multiple pregnancy is possible, even in natural pregnancy, but those chances are low, but with IVF the chances of multiple pregnancy are high.
If you are trying to get pregnant through IVF, then you must be receiving a lot of suggestions from people close to you. You get suggestions about lifestyle changes, changes in your diet and much more. You will definitely get to hear about the Mediterranean diet in that list. This is one of the best diets that can ensure a healthy pregnancy.
There are so many studies conducted on the right diet for women to achieve a healthy pregnancy. A diet which is rich in vegetables, fruits, high fibre, whole grains and fish is good and the Mediterranean diet has just what a woman requires.
What is the Mediterranean diet?
The Mediterranean diet includes eating fresh fruits and vegetables. It also includes good fat, proteins and carbohydrates. When you are opting for IVF treatment, your overall lifestyle plays an important role such as the food you consume. You need to add more proteins to your diet as that can help in the production of eggs. You need to consume vegetable protein and not just animal protein.
How can the Mediterranean diet influence the results of an IVF?
- Your body should be able to absorb the nutrients from the food that you eat. This will help in the production of quality sperm, egg and hormones. So, the Mediterranean diet can help you with that.
- The Mediterranean diet helps manage blood sugar levels. Most women crave sweets or experience mood swings caused by hormones good food can help control these. When you are able to manage your blood sugar with the help of this diet, then you will be able to produce good quality or healthy eggs.
- You will have to make sure that the food you are eating is protecting the cells from radical damage. When the cells in the body are damaged, then they will impact the quality of the sperm and egg produced. The Mediterranean diet is high in antioxidants that protect the cells.
- The Mediterranean diet contains good fats. Fats from fish are very good as they boost the cell membranes. Inflammation is also prevented with the help of this good fat.
- Apart from that, you will also find the Mediterranean diet useful in reducing obesity, heart diseases and diabetes.
Being overweight can also be one of the reasons for not getting pregnant. This diet will help you maintain a good weight. People with sleeping disorders are also able to overcome the problem. So, overall the Mediterranean diet is the best diet for maintaining overall health. Overall good health will guarantee a good and healthy pregnancy. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
IVF is the most common way to treat infertility but even this technique does not guarantee success. In many cases, a cycle of IVF can end without a successful pregnancy. There are many reasons for this. Whatever be the cause, an IVF failure is a very stressful time and can be painful for both partners.
Here are a few tips on how to bounce back after an IVF cycle fails.
- Take a break: It is never advisable to start another IVF cycle immediately after an unsuccessful IVF cycle. Along with being physically ready to conceive a child, you must also be mentally ready. Hence, take a little time off. Reconnect with your partner and build your mental and emotional strength. Meditation and yoga can be very helpful in strengthening your mind and coming to terms with your emotions.
- Don’t play the blame game: It is very tempting to find a person to pin the blame on. However, in reality, there are a million things that could go wrong and beyond a certain point, many of these factors cannot be controlled. For the woman, it is also very important not to blame oneself. It is not your fault that the pregnancy did not go as planned.
- Build a support system: Ideally, before you begin the IVF cycle, find someone who has gone through it before and who will be by your side. This person will not ask questions about the process and will understand what you are going through. A good support system can also help alleviate stress. If you do not know someone who has undergone IVF treatment in your neighborhood, consider joining an online support group.
- Focus on yourself: Understand that a failed IVF cycle does not mean that you can never become a parent. It only means that this was not the right time for you. Hence, focus on the road ahead. The first step towards this is to focus on yourself. Strengthen your mind and body with a proper diet, regular exercise and a healthy sleep cycle. This will increase your chances of a success the next time you start an IVF cycle. Give yourself time to detox from all the medication you have been on. This helps the body go back to its normal state and eliminate all traces of the drugs taken during the treatment process. By doing this you are helping your body prepare itself for a future IVF cycle.
My last LMP was 18 july 2018 and from 4th to 15th I have taken duphaston morning and evening and today I had done my pregnancy test it was negative. So there is no chance that I will pregnant this month or not.
My wife age is 24, we are trying to have children from last 1.5 years. There was no positive result. Went for AMH, FSH & LH tests, unfortunately AMH was 0.10 which is very low and other test results was normal. And we went to Doctor and got a output stating you couple has to go to IVF/ test tube baby with egg donor, can we know how much will be entire cost and suggest best hospital/ Doctor in Hyderabad.
When I have intercourse with my wife, while inserting my part into her part sometimes I feel hard to insert. When I apply some coconut oil on my part I can able to insert freely. Does applying oil on my part reduces the sperm motility to reach her egg. Having said that does it reduce the chance of conception. We are trying to have a baby but no luck so far. Please help with the answer.
Last month we tried iui after 24 hours of hcg 5000iu and dint succeed. This month doc advised to try iui after the egg ruptures that is 36 hours after taking hcg injection. What are the chances please help no problem with my sperm analysis except for erectile dysfunction (main reason for IUI) and her vital stats are also good.
IVF or In-vitro fertilization is one of the most common ways to treat infertility. This process involves harvesting eggs from the woman or a donor and sperm cells from the male partner. The two are then combined in a laboratory to form embryos. Three of the healthiest embryos are then picked to be reintroduced into the woman’s uterus where at least 1 of them can develop into a baby. Unlike natural conception, the IVF cycle takes much longer. For a woman, it can take up to 6 months to prepare for IVF.
Here are a few tips on how to prepare for IVF.
- Quit drinking and smoking: Alcohol and nicotine have a negative effect on reproductive health. Thus, do not wait to conceive a baby but quit in advance. Ideally, you should be alcohol and nicotine free for at least a few months before the IVF cycle.
- Take vitamins: Even though you may eat a healthy diet, your body may need supplementary vitamins. Ask your doctor about these vitamins and take them regularly. These will not only make your body more fertile but will also improve the quality of your eggs. This medication should be ideally started 3 months before the IVF cycle.
- De-stress: IVF can be a stressful experience for many couples. Hence to prepare for it, find effective ways to deal with stress. Studies have shown that couples with lower stress levels have a higher chance of a successful IVF cycle. Yoga and meditations are great techniques for stress relief. It might also be beneficial to slow down the pace of your lifestyle.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is important for both men and women. For men, getting enough sleep helps increase sperm production while in the case of women it affects ovulation. To help sleep better, set a sleep cycle where you go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Keep away from mobile screens, TV etc. just before you go to bed. Also, avoid caffeinated drinks after sunset.
- Exercise: For an IVF cycle to be successful, a woman’s BMI should be between 20 and 25. If it is too high, it can have a negative effect on your hormone levels and fertility. Hence, find time to exercise every day. Exercising can continue even after you have started the IVF cycle but at this time, you should avoid any strenuous exercising and should stick to gentle work-outs.
Many couples are reaching IVF clinics due to infertility problems. IVF is a very useful process for those couples who are unable to conceive. A few tests will be done on both male and female, and then the treatment for infertility will start. Many people reach out to the doctor with a low AMH count. What actually is AMH count and how does it affect IVF treatment? Continue reading to know more about AMH:
- Very Low AMH levels means 0.5 ng/ml or below. This condition indicates severe fertility concerns and very low ovarian reserve.
- Low AMH levels means 1.0 ng/ml to 1.5 ng/ml. This condition indicates that the ovarian reserve is low, but that chances of getting pregnant are still good.
- Normal AMH levels mean 1.5 ng/ml to 4.0 ng/ml. This condition indicates a good ovarian reserve and very good chance of responding to IVF or other fertility treatments.
Many people have a misconception that low or very low levels of AMH do not indicate that the IVF treatment is suitable for the woman. Some women may have a low quantity of eggs due to low AMH levels, but the quality of the egg can be good and hence the chances of pregnancy are good.
Why is an AMH test important for IVF treatment?
- One of the most reliable tests done for confirming if the woman will have a successful pregnancy is the AMH test. This test can be done at any time of the month irrespective of the monthly cycle and the lifestyle of the woman. The exact fertility health can be analyzed with the help of this test.
- Blood samples are taken and tested for AMH levels. This is not included in your normal blood test reports and hence you need to ask the doctor if you want to know the AMH levels. A combination of Antral follicle count test with AMH tests will give you the best results.
Why do AMH levels drop?
There are many factors that are responsible for the AMH levels to drop and one of them is aging. Other factors include hormonal imbalance, low blood circulation to the ovaries, unhealthy food choices, stress, autoimmune diseases, genetic factors and your lifestyle.
One single test of AMH levels will not give you the exact results. You need to get the test done a few times to know the exact values. Though your birth control pills may not affect the AMH levels, you can stop them for a few months and then get the test done. Talk to the doctor regarding the other medications you take and other fertility drugs you have used in the past or presently. This helps the doctor to give you the right advice. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!