TMJ is a type of temporomandibular disorder which causes pain in jaw joint and in the muscles that control jaw movement.Signs and symptoms of TMJ include:
• Pain or tenderness of your jaw
• Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
• Aching pain in and around your ear
• Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
• Aching facial pain
• Locking of the joint, making it difficult to open or close your mouth
HOW IS TMJ DIAGNOSED?
TMJ is diagnosed by a general physician who would ask you to open and shut your jaws. One may also suggest an X-ray to check for bone problems.
HOW IS TMJ TREATED?
The TMJ disorders can be treated using a variety of treatment options based on the severity of the condition. Surgery is suggested when medications, physical therapies and counselling does not give good results.
DID YOU KNOW?
Applying heat and cold massage or compress at home is helpful in dealing with the pain.