Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

I am a 17 years old female, I have crooked teeth, also I have a slight overbite and my teeth are a bit forward. I had made an x-ray once, not too long ago, according to which I nearly have a 90° of angle in my teeth. I also had consult an orthodontist for braces treatment. According to him he said he'll have to remove my upper two and lower two teeth for traditional braces. I don't want any tooth extraction surgeries, would you please guide me through this. Which treatment should I go for, traditional braces, Damon braces or anything else. What?

2 Doctors Answered
Hi lybrate-user Crooked teeth appear because of lack of space fot the teeth to arrange properly. So, usually this space is provided by extracting one tooth from each upeer lower rt n lt side. Do not be afraid as these extractions are not painful, and at the end you will not have any gaps left in the teeth. 17 is a good age to start this, anything later than 25 gives very late results. Do consult a familiar dentist to guide you through this.
Hello Lybrate user, Extraction treatment protocol varies according to the extent of malocclusion. With Damon braces some of the extraction cases can be converted into nonextraction, not indicated for all extraction cases though. The extraction treatment of four premolars with traditional braces, also gives good results. With Damon system the friction is less, less no. Of appointments, more comfortable. Since you are not willing to undergo extraction, you can discuss further about Damon system with your Orthodontist.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.