Reason for frequent leg swelling and pain for a sugar patient. What necessary steps must be taken to avoid pain and swelling?

Reason for frequent leg swelling and pain for a sugar pat...
Hi thanks for your query and welcome to lybrate. I am Dr. Akshay from fortis hospital, new delhi. Diabetes can lead to multiple symptoms but your mother's symptoms of pain and swelling may not be linked to diabetes. There are many causes of swelling in the legs. Most common reason is postural and many patients develop it when they stand for a long time, but as soon as they elevate their leg up, the swelling subsides. We also have to look at medical causes as well, chronic cardiac conditions can lead to swelling, any pathology which leads to low proteins in the body like deranged lft, kft etc can also lead to swelling. Hypothyroidism can also lead to generalized swelling like appearance in the body. So for accurate diagnosis we need to clinically evaluate and get appropriate tests: cbc, esr, crp, lft, kft, serum electrolytes and thyroid profile. Please get back to me should you need more information or with test results. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance. You can also discuss your case and treatment plans with me in a greater detail in a private consultation.