I am a 70 year old male. I have an abscess on the gum near the tooth where root canal was done last year my dentist advise to extract the tooth as it is cracked. A course of antibiotics did not reduce the swelling can I save the tooth?

I am a 70 year old male. I have an abscess on the gum nea...
Hi after root canal treatment, the tooth becomes brittle and is prone to getting fractured. That's the reason we place a crown over the tooth after root canal treatment. Since the tooth has already cracked and there is an abscess present and you have already completed a course of antibiotics, I would recommend you to get it extracted. A radiograph of the same would help in a better diagnosis.
If it is cracked then it can't be saved.
It would depend on direction of the crack if only crown than may be it can be saved but abscess is suggestive of failure of rct.
It has to be draining sinus, treatment involves curretting the sinus lining.
If the tooth is cracked, it most likely cannot be saved. If the root canal has failed and caused the swelling, retreatment of root canal can be considered if all factors are favourable.
If tooth has fractured than go for removal of it.
Hi,your teeth is cracked so RCT can't be re done.Abcess is to be drained first by lancing or making a small hole in the tooth structure and then antibiotic will help . You can opt for extraction of the affected tooth to get relief from the abcess.
Dear there are many things which can decide your treatment plan. As of now - if the tooth got crack below the gums level and can't be saved then go for extraction otherwise retreatment (rerct) can save the tooth.