5 years experience
Ask Free Question
Hello lybrate-user sumanth. From the symptoms described by you, it could be due to a condition known as dacryocystitis. This occurs due to the blockage of the connection between the eye and the nose. This connection is known as the naso-lacrimal duct. It is accompanied by discharge from the eye (yellowish white) along with pain and watering. This condition tends to get aggravated during certain seasons and lessened in severity during others. Other possible causes for puffiness below the eyes include:
(1) age related distribution of fat. With progressive time and age there occurs a re-distribution of a lot of body fat. This may lead to puffiness/ sagging/ bagginess of the lower eyelids.
(2) excessive alcohol consumption has at times seen to be associated with puffiness of eyelids.
(3) hypersensitivity/ allergy of the eyes may cause puffiness. It may be caused due to dust, pollen, insect bite, etc.
(4) thyroid level fluctuation has at times been seen to be associated with puffiness of eyelids.
(5) excessive obesity has been shown to be associated with puffiness of eyelids.
(6) extreme condition such as orbital cellulitis: very rare. Also, it is usually associated with eye injury, surgery, systemic infection, etc. It is very less likely to be so in your case.
(7) grave's disease: this has a tendency to be associated with thyroid disease (or other autoimmune conditions). It s also rare. It is associated with fatigue and weakness that progresses throughout the day.
(8) allergy of the eyes. It may happen due to insect bite hypersensitivity, allergy to cosmetics, dust, food items, etc
thus, it would be a good idea to identify in the category that your father comes under and then tackle the situation. The reason for this being that each cause would have a different pattern of treatment.
You found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.
Book appointment with top doctors for Conjunctivitis treatment