Perhaps because of age--I am being in my seventies--some of the teeth has got partly broken as a result of which food particles get stuck up. It is becoming a habit with me to use toothpick. My dentist says horizontal filling is not possible. My general physician is not in favour of extraction because of age related health problems. I need to have suggestions for this so that pain or other problems can be avoided. Is their any harm in using wooden toothpick. I do not use any form of tobacco but occasionally drink moderately.

Perhaps because of age--I am being in my seventies--some ...
It would be better to use dental floss instead of toothpick, since with tooth pick you are more likely to damage your gingiva
You can go for crowns over teeth to prevent food lodgement.
Hello sir sorry to hear that ure suffering with food impaction and you have to use tooth pick to remove the food. Yes sir ure dentist is right by saying tooth picks are harmful for your gums. I wud suggest you to use floss provided your hands are having the dexterity to do flossing. Teeth can be fixed at any age immaterial of the medical status but with caution. Tooth also can be extracted with proper update on the medical history and at times in a hospital environment. I hope I answered your question sir god bless and good luck